Third candidate announces plans to run for Auburn's House seat

A third candidate has announced plans to run for former Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard's congressional seat.

Auburn attorney Brett Smith announced he will be running to fill Auburn's vacant House seat in a campaign press release last night.

"I enter this race today with the specific intent to be an alternative to the tired and bland politicians we have all grown so accustomed to in politics," Smith said in the announcement. "As the Bible says, we are useless if we are lukewarm, better off discarded if we lose our saltiness." 

Smith said he is running on a platform of job creation, opportunity, fighting federal overreach, returning control of the educational system to local hands and protecting Constitutional rights.

"I am not bought by special interests and have no ties to secret clubs or outside influence," Smith said. "As your state representative, I will stand boldly for the people of Alabama and our Auburn value. It is my hope that through my honesty and boldness I may earn your respect and your vote."

Smith must compete against Auburn businessman Sandy Toomer, owner of Toomer's Coffee Roasters, and attorney Hal Walker.

The primary election is scheduled for Sept. 13, 2016. The general election is set for Nov. 29, barring the need for a run-off. In that case, the general election would be moved to Feb. 7, 2017.

Toomer and Walker announced their plans last week.

Smith is a founding partner of Huff Smith Law Firm, according to his campaign, and is a member of both the Alabama and Florida State Bars. His practice areas include small business, non-profit and charitable organizations law.

Smith, Toomer and Walker will compete for House District 79, the seat formerly held by Hubbard, an Auburn Republican and media executive. Hubbard was removed from office earlier this month after being found guilty of 12 felony ethics violations.

Hubbard's sentencing hearing is set for July 8, 2016, at 10 a.m.

Share and discuss “Third candidate announces plans to run for Auburn's House seat” on social media.