House candidate: 'We should concentrate on making our state better' not fighting the federal government

A fifth Republican candidate has announced his plans to run for Auburn's District 79 House seat — the seat formerly held by Auburn Republican Mike Hubbard.

Jay Conner, a real estate broker and development manager in Auburn, announced his plans to pursue the party's nomination Friday.

Conner said he wants the Alabama government to focus on things they can control.

"I want our government in Montgomery to focus on the things we can control and not get bogged down in federal, judicial or cultural fights over policies we cannot change," Conner said.

"We should concentrate on making our state better by investing in Auburn University, our public schools, infrastructure, stimulating job-growth and keeping state government out of the way of progress; not by wasting time and money debating issues that are beyond the reach of the state Legislature."

Conner, who said he has been serving the city of Auburn for 30 years, was once a member of the Lee/Russell Metropolitan Planning Organization as well as a former board member of the Auburn Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors.

Conner coaches Dixie Youth baseball, football and basketball teams in Auburn.

"I'm running for the Auburn House of Representatives in District 79 because we need true, honest and genuine representation," Conner said. "The people of District 79 should speak for themselves through a representative who will craft legislation and vote in accordance with our residents' will, not for the benefit of those gaming the system."

Hubbard, the seat's former occupant, was found guilty in June of 12 felony ethics charges. Prosecutors said he used his office for personal gain by profiting more than $1.1 million off of illegal investments and consulting contracts.

"We live and work together in Auburn, and I am one of you," Conner said. "I will give you — all of you — a voice in the Alabama House of Representatives."

Over the past two weeks, four other candidates have also announced their plans to run for the seat including businessman Sandy Toomer, realtor Joe Lovvorn and attorneys Brett Smith and Hal Walker.

The primary election is scheduled for Sept. 13, 2016. The general election is set for Nov. 29, barring the need for a run-off. In that case, the general election would be moved to Feb. 7, 2017.

Share and discuss “House candidate: 'We should concentrate on making our state better' not fighting the federal government” on social media.