State Capitol to be illuminated in blue all week to honor law enforcement

Gov. Robert Bentley has ordered the Alabama State Capitol to be illuminated in blue every night this week to honor the law enforcement lives lost in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, yesterday and Dallas, Texas, earlier this month.

Bentley said the lights will honor the men and women who willingly put their lives in harms way to protect the public.

“On Sunday, I was troubled and truly heartbroken to hear of yet another act of senseless violence, this time in Baton Rouge, Louisiana,” Bentley said. “Alabama joins the rest of the nation in praying for the men and women who sacrifice so much to safeguard us daily."

The State Capitol will remain illuminated in blue every night until Friday.

"This week we are illuminating the State Capitol blue to show Alabama’s support for law enforcement locally and across the country," he said. "The contributions and sacrifices made by these men and women are immeasurable, and it is important for us as Alabamians and Americans to honor them.”

Yesterday, three law enforcement officers were killed in Baton Rouge after being targeted and ambushed by a man from Missouri. Another officer is still fighting for his life, according to reports.

On Saturday night, two Lee County deputies were refused service by a single employee at a Taco Bell franchise location in Phenix City, Alabama.

That employee was later fired and the corporate owners offered a personal apology to both the deputies and the sheriff's office.

Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones told The Plainsman he was disappointed in the way his officers were treated, but there has also been an "overwhelming" outpouring of support for his office since the event made it into the national news.

According to the governor's office, there are about 16,000 law enforcement officers in the state. Bentley called on the state to support and pray for those officers.

Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Secretary Stan Stabler said they answer the call of duty everyday and are faced with grave dangers.

“These brave men and women are committed to service; they are our fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters," Stabler said. "They have a sense of commitment and honor to place their lives in jeopardy to protect the lives of others."

"Over the past few weeks, a series of tragic, heart-breaking events have reminded the nation how difficult and important a law enforcement officer’s job is every day," he said. "It is my honor to serve side-by-side with law enforcement officers across Alabama and the nation.”

Share and discuss “State Capitol to be illuminated in blue all week to honor law enforcement” on social media.