The top 10 stories you missed over break

You might have been home over the summer and away from the excitement here in Auburn, but The Auburn Plainsman staff continued reporting the news both on and off campus. Below we've compiled the top 10 news stories we think you need to catch up on if you've been back home or abroad over the summer break.

10: Chewacla State Park was awarded the TripAdviser Certificate of Excellence

The regular home for Auburn's outdoors enthusiasts was rated as one of the best in Alabama by TripAdviser this summer. Chewacla State Park, which lies only miles south of Auburn's campus, received TripAdviser's Certificate of Excellence.

9: Krispy Kreme opened on Opelika Road

The long-awaited grand opening of the Krispy Kreme in Auburn finally became a reality this summer when the store opened its doors only days after students left for the summer. Hundreds of students and residents lined up outside its doors for free doughnuts on opening day.

8: The guest pass upgrade policy for football tickets was released

Before you left for the summer, the Student Government announced changes to the student ticketing policy to heated reaction from students. Later in the summer, the guest pass policy, allowing students to upgrade their tickets so a guest can accompany them, was released.

7: The investigation into an officer-involved shooting in Auburn is heading to a grand jury

Following months of investigation by the State Bureau of Investigations, the case of the police-involved shooting death of Melissa Boarts back in April will be heading to a grand jury in Macon County. Boarts was shot by officers of the Auburn Police Division on April 3, 2016.

6: Pokémon Go took over Auburn's campus, and a man was robbed while playing the game

Last month, Niantic's Pokémon Go was launched in North America. The game was immediately an internation sensation, and Auburn was no different. Students began crowding the sidewalks at the Jule Collins Smith Museum of Fine Art to get a chance to catch a Magikarp. Unfortunately, one young man was robbed while playing on the museum grounds.

5: The Auburn Family united to hold vigils for the victims of the Orlando Pulse Nightclub shooting, the deaths of Philando Castille and Alton Sterling, and the victims of the shooting in Dallas

In June, supporters gathered on Toomer's corner to mourn the 49 deaths in the Orlando Pulse Nightclub shooting. In July, the Black Student Union and other supporters gathered in Langdon Hall to celebrate the lives of Philando Castille and Alton Sterline, as well as the officers killed in Dallas.

4: The Auburn City Council passed an ordinance that will allow for Uber's return

After more than a year and a half of the ride-hailing service's absense, the Auburn City Council passed an ordinance last week that will allow for Uber to return to Auburn. The ordinance amendment requires Uber to perform background checks and obtain proper licensing before beginning operations again, but they could be back before the Clemson game.

3: City officials scrapped a plan to build a six-story hotel and an urban grocery store downtown

In August, city officials scrapped plans to partner with Birmingham-based developer Blackwater Resources to build a six-story boutique hotel with 130–190 rooms on the site of the city's downtown Municipal Parking Deck. A larger, five-story parking deck and an urban grocery store would have accompanied the site if it had been built.

2: An electrical fire broke out in Lowder Hall, causing extensive damage to the building

On the first day of the second summer minimester, June 27, a fire originating from a light and ballast broke out on the second floor of the College of Business' Lowder Hall. It was put out quickly by the Auburn Fire Division, but not before causing extensive damage to the interior of the hall. Dozens of classes had to be moved around campus.

1: Former House Speaker Mike Hubbard, R-Auburn, was found guilty of 12 felony ethics violations and sentenced to four years in prison

After more than two years of pretrial hearings and court proceedings, a jury of 12 Lee County citizens found former House Speaker Mike Hubbard, an Auburn resident and media executive, guilty of 12 separate felony violations of the state's ethics law June 10. A month later, Lee County Judge Jacob Walker sentenced him to four years in prison.

Share and discuss “The top 10 stories you missed over break” on social media.