The meaning of Lenten fasting

For 40 days in spring, some students’ lives are a little less luxurious. The season of Lent is celebrated and observed by Catholics, Episcopalians, Methodists, Anglicans, Lutherans, and Orthodox Christians all to various degrees. However, the most common Lenten tradition is fasting.

Fasting for 40 days derives from the 40 days Jesus spent wandering the Judaean Desert fasting and praying before returning to Galilee to begin his public ministry. Jesus’ time in the desert in known as the Temptation of Christ.

Fasting, though usually referring to food, can include abstaining from anything. Most Christians who participate in Lent do choose to give up something food related--most commonly soda or chocolate or just sweets in general. This giving up of a comfort reminds those who fast of Jesus’ 40 days in exile and lead to self-reflection, repentance of sin, and growth of the soul.

Aside from a religious context, and whether they fast from food or a certain activity, many view the season as an opportunity for self-improvement. Giving up soda, chocolate, alcohol, or meat all offer multiple health benefits. Avoiding social media helps improve self-image and productivity. One student who gave up swearing explained, “It is a bad habit of mine, and using those words reflects badly on my character and my faith.”

Besides fasting, many Christians also add a practice or habit during the Lenten season. These usually focus on strengthening spirituality and improving one’s relationship with their faith. Common practices include regular church attendance or daily devotionals and bible study. Others may donate to charity or help with community service. Marina Gurmendi, freshman in Pre Communication Disorders, is abstaining from her dorm elevator, instead saying the prayer of the day from the Marian consecration when she uses the stair as well as attending Adoration every Monday.

For those who participate in Lent, the season is supposed to difficult. It is a time to examine one’s self and find areas in one’s life where spiritual growth is needed and to repent from sin. It is through this six week self-denial that Christians hope to find themselves closer to Jesus come Easter morning.

Share and discuss “The meaning of Lenten fasting ” on social media.