COLUMN: Graduation goodies from Dank Dishes

As school comes to a grinding halt for many Auburn students, the celebrations are just beginning. 

Here are some simple snacks to whip together for graduation parties and any other celebration you might be planning.

French Onion Dip

Ingredients

• 2-3 large yellow onions
  • 5 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 ounces cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise 
  • green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish

Directions

1. Cut the onions in half, and with the flat side down, slice them into thin rounds. You will have about 3 cups of onions. 
  2. In a large sauté pan or dutch oven, heat the butter over medium-low heat. Once butter has melted, add the sliced onions, salt, and pepper and allow them to caramelize for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Note: The onions should be a deep caramel color and should have significantly reduced their size. If this is not the case after 30 minutes, continue to cook over low heat until this is achieved. 
  3. Turn the heat off and add cream cheese, sour cream ad mayonnaise to the still warm pan. 
  4. Stir until onions and other ingredients are well combined. 
  5. Top with thinly sliced green onions and serve warm with Fritos or sliced vegetables. 

Heirloom Tomato Crostini

Ingredients

• 3 heirloom tomatoes
  • 2 cups basil leaves (reserve some leaves for topping) 
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 baguette
  • 1 log of goat cheese
  • 8 tablespoons olive oil, divided

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a small bowl, add 4 tablespoons of olive oil and the minced garlic cloves. Allow sitting for about 20 minutes to give the garlic time to infuse the oil. Finely chop 1 cup of basil, and add it to another 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a separate bowl to infuse that as well.
  3. Slice the baguette on a bias, and then, using a pastry brush, brush the garlic infused oil onto the bread slices. Place the bread slices on a foil-lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
  4. Remove from the oven, and immediately spread the goat cheese onto each slice of bread. Spoon the basil infused olive oil over the warm goat cheese.
  5. Slice the heirloom tomatoes in 1/2 inch horizontal slices, and cut in half or leave whole in order to fit the slices of bread. Lightly salt the slices.
  6. Add one to two slices of tomato to each crostini, depending on size. Top with a whole basil lead and serve. 

Deviled Eggs - Topped with Fried Oysters of Bacon

Ingredients

• 1 dozen eggs (makes 24 deviled eggs)
  • 1/2 cup good mayonnaise (example: Duke’s or Blue Plate)
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 24 fresh shucked oysters or 6 strips cooked bacon

Directions

1. Place the eggs into a saucepan and pour in cold water to cover the eggs. Place on high heat. When the water just starts to simmer, turn off heat, cover pan with a lid, and let stand for 13 minutes. (Set a timer!) 
  2. Carefully remove the eggs from the water, and transfer immediately to a bowl filled with ice water for about two minutes. This will halt the cooking process.
  3. Peel the eggs.
  4. Cut each egg in half lengthwise, and carefully remove the yolks and place in a medium-sized bowl. 
  5. Using a fork, smash the yolks until they resemble fine crumbs.
  6. To the yolks, add the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined. 
  7. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of mixture to overfill egg cavity — they should look rustic.
  8. If you plan to top with bacon, cut each strip into 1-inch pieces and top each egg.
  9. If you plan to top with oysters, preheat a large dutch oven or fryer with vegetable oil until it's about 350 degrees. Coat the oysters in seasoned cornmeal (add about a teaspoon of salt and pepper to a cup of cornmeal and stir) and drop into fryer one by one. They should only take about 3 minutes to cook. Remove with slotted spoon and place on paper towels. Allow to slightly cool and top oysters as well.

Turtles

Ingredients

• 24 pretzel twists
  • 24 soft caramels
  • 24 pecan halves, toasted
  • 8 ounces chocolate chips, melted

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. 
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange the pretzels on the baking sheet. Top each with caramel and bake for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Not melted yet. 
  3. Remove from oven and top immediately with a toasted pecan half pressed into the caramel. Let cool and remove from baking sheet. 
  4. On the baking sheet, drop 24 dollops of the melted chocolate chips and lightly drop a pretzel in the middle of the dollop. Allow cooling before attempting to remove from sheet. 
  5. If you're in a rush or it's summertime outside, feel free to let them cool in the fridge.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Graduation goodies from Dank Dishes” on social media.