LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Five tips for fraternity recruitment

My name is Duncan Asbury, and I have the pleasure of serving as the Interfraternity Council president for 2017. Auburn’s Greek Life is an exciting community to be a part of, and I am thankful for your interest. I have learned numerous lessons throughout my time as a fraternity man at Auburn, and I hope the following tips prove to be helpful in the recruitment process.

1. Get your name out there

The biggest part of recruitment is letting people know you are interested and providing a line of communication. The best way to show interest and ensure contact from fraternities is to register for recruitment at https://cws.auburn.edu/ifc. Also, all fraternity President’s and Recruitment Chairman’s contact info is available on the Auburn IFC website under the “Fraternities” tab. Reaching out to these officers directly is a great way to learn more about the organization, upcoming events, etc.

2. Keep an open mind

Do not fixate on one group throughout the recruitment process. Keep your eyes and opinions open. This behavior will lead to a more meaningful recruitment experience where you maximize your exposure to multiple organizations. However, it is good to have a few fraternities in mind when going through recruitment. Due to the sheer number of fraternities on Auburn’s campus, it is unlikely that someone would be able to visit everyone, so it would be beneficial to determine a list of a few fraternities that peak your interest and go from there.

3. Check your peers

One of the best parts of recruitment is the opportunity to build relationships with fellow freshman men before classes start. With that being said, it is important to check the other guys that are at the recruitment events as well as the members that are near your age because these are the people you will likely spend your entire college career with.

4. Check the upper classmen

Another important aspect of recruitment is meeting older members; these are the juniors and seniors in the fraternity. As older members, they have been involved the longest and have the most insight to provide on the fraternity. Look to these older members and ask yourself, “Are these the kind of guys I want to be like when I’m older?” Whether that question is answered do to college major, campus involvement, personal convictions, or other factors, asking this question will only enhance the recruitment process.

5. Seek meaningful conversations and relationships

Recruitment is all about meeting people. Let these interactions be meaningful and enjoyable. Because this is such an incredible time to broaden your horizons, do not squander it by staying in your comfort zone. Get out there and meet people, and you will not regret it.

Editor's note: Duncan Asbury is the Interfraternity Council president.

Share and discuss “LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Five tips for fraternity recruitment” on social media.