BSU and UPC partner for screening and panel of 'Get Out' on the Green Space

With Halloween days away, the University Program Council and Black Student Union hosted a scary movie on the Greenspace. Following the movie, a panel was held for discussion of the prominent themes within the event's screening of "Get Out."

"The goal of the movie and the discussion panel was to help students become aware of issues that people of other ethnicities face and to help them to be more inclusive and welcoming on campus," said Madeline Armstrong, director of films for UPC.

"Get Out" is an award-winning horror film directed by Jordan Peele and released in February 2017. The film possesses entertainment, horror, satire and modern politics.

“We’re actually really happy with the turnout,” said Channing Freeman, member of UPC's Film Committee. “We had over 200 people come."

Armstrong said when they began planning for this year's film line up, the committee had no doubt they were going to play this movie.

"The movie brilliantly represents issues that minorities face every day," Armstrong said. "We decided to ask Black Student Union to partner with us because we thought it would be a great way to promote diversity and inclusion on Auburn’s campus."

Immediately following the film, a panel was hosted to discuss implications of the film. Amstrong said she was pleased with the panel's turnout, taking into consideration student's study schedules and the cold weather.

Armstrong said UPC was created to "unify, educate, empower and serve." This film's goal was to emphasize education. Armstrong attributed her time as a resident assistant and director of film committee to her goal of wanting every student to feel welcomed and loved on campus.

"I want students to grow and become more open-minded when it comes to people of other races and religions," Armstrong said.

UPC and BSU partnered for the presentation of this movie in hopes of educating students of issues minorities face to encourage understanding and create a welcoming environment.

"I hope that the event empowered students to keep an open mind and to celebrate diversity in Auburn," Armstrong said.

Share and discuss “BSU and UPC partner for screening and panel of 'Get Out' on the Green Space ” on social media.