Honors College senior is finalist for Marshall Scholarship

Honors College senior majoring in software engineering Matthew Rogers has been named a finalist for the Marshall Scholarship.

The Samuel Ginn College of Engineering student will interview on Tuesday, Nov. 2 at the British Consulate in Atlanta. If selected, Rogers will pursue a doctor of philosophy in Cyber Security at the Centre for Doctoral Training at The University of Oxford.

“Matthew falls solidly into the category of cool cyber dude,” said David Umphress, the COLSA Corporation cyber security and information assurance professor and director of the Auburn Cyber Research Center. “He is not only technically adept and intellectually acute, but he is also conscientious, respectful and personable. I consider him as punching well above his weight in the fight for learning, and I feel strongly that he possesses the makings of a great scholar and leader.”

As a funded undergraduate research fellow, Rogers is currently enrolled in three graduate-level courses while keeping up his 4.0 grade-point average.

“I am thrilled and honored to be named a Marshall finalist, and I am deeply grateful to everyone who has helped me along the way,” Rogers said. “I look forward to meeting with the Marshall Scholarship selection committee next month.”

Rogers, a native of Huntsville, has spent the past three summers working as an undergraduate research intern at Dynetics Inc. There, Rogers helped develop malware analysis tools, which he gave numerous presentations on at various professional conferences throughout the country. 

At Auburn, Rogers has served as an Honors College Ambassador, an Undergraduate Research Ambassador, a co-founder of the Auburn Ethical Hacking Club and as past treasurer for the Auburn Chapter of the Association of Computing Machinery.

“Pursuing a DPhil at the Centre for Doctoral Training will provide Matthew the in-depth knowledge that will be required to aid in future policy decisions created to enforce cybersecurity,” said Paul Harris, associate director of the Honors College and professor of political science. “We look forward to continuing working with Matthew as he prepares for his formal interview with the Marshall Scholarship selection committee in early November.”

The Marshall scholarship, named after former Army Chief of Staff and Secretary of State Gen. George C. Marshall, provides an opportunity to study at any university in the United Kingdom to 40 of the most outstanding undergraduate students. 

The award places emphasis on academic merit and the potential of the student becoming a world leader or ambassador.

Share and discuss “Honors College senior is finalist for Marshall Scholarship” on social media.