Survivor of 16th Street Baptist Church bombing speaks in Auburn

On Sept. 15, 1963, 12-year-old Sarah Collins Rudolph and her 14-year-old sister, Addie Mae, were sitting in the ladies lounge of the 16th Street Baptist Church when a loud boom resounded. Someone had placed a bomb underneath the steps of the church, which was a location used to discuss civil rights issues.

This racially targeted bombing took the lives of Addie Mae and three other young girls. As a result of the bombing, Rudolph had 21 pieces of glass in her face and was blinded in one eye. Rudolph survived but is known as the “fifth young girl.”

Today, Rudolph is a living legend who demonstrates the ability to overcome hardship and serves as an inspiration to many who struggled to gain equal rights. She visited Auburn’s campus on Wednesday to tell her story and discuss race and religion in our present society.

“Because of the bombing, people began to speak up about hate in the community,” Rudolph said. “I’ve been going around the world trying to teach people the right way to love each other.”

This conversation between Auburn University visiting professor Joan Harrell and Rudolph was part of a series called Becoming the Beloved Community. The event was sponsored by the Caroline Draughon Center for the Arts and Humanities.

“There are issues we need to discuss if we want to see change,” Harrell said. “If we’re not talking to each other, we will continue to see bombings and shootings, and racism will continue to exist.”

When the floor was opened to the audience, many members expressed their appreciation toward Rudolph and added to the discussion of modern civil rights issues.

“I want the young people in this room to recognize that this is not a Hollywood film," said Director for the Auburn Center of Educational Outreach and Engagement Stacey Nickson."This was a real event that still impacts real people.” 

Along with traveling to share her story, Rudolph, in collaboration with writer Tracy Snipe, hopes to release a book soon titled, "The Fifth Little Girl: Soul Survivor of the 16th Street Baptist Church Bombing."

Share and discuss “Survivor of 16th Street Baptist Church bombing speaks in Auburn ” on social media.