A look inside Auburn's ROTC programs

Here is a look into what the members of each of the three branches have to offer.

<p>Students, families&nbsp;and Auburn University Navy ROTC&nbsp;members&nbsp;sing the Alma Mater&nbsp;at Ring Night on Thursday, April 19, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Students, families and Auburn University Navy ROTC members sing the Alma Mater at Ring Night on Thursday, April 19, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn has a rich tradition of producing military leaders through some of the highest rated Reserve Officer Training Corps programs in the country. 

One of the reasons Auburn’s ROTC program is distinguished is because it includes all three branches of ROTC programs on its campus. 

The Air Force ROTC program is home to 125 students, 16.8 percent of whom are female. The most common majors  Air Force ROTC students adopt are engineering majors. Forty-one students are aerospace engineering majors and 30 are mechanical engineering majors. 

“[Auburn’s Air Force ROTC program] has a 100 percent pilot selection rate and commissions 15 lieutenants a year from pilots to missileers,” said Capt. Michael Brueder, assistant professor of aerospace studies. “The men and women that dedicate their time and efforts to Auburn’s Air Force ROTC program are geared toward success in whatever their futures hold for them from the moment they step on campus.” 

Auburn’s Army ROTC program has 199 students currently enrolled in the “War Eagle Battalion,” 15 percent of whom are female.

“Sixty-five percent of our cadets are either in engineering, business or math and science degree fields,” said Chad Fisher, senior military science instructor. “About 25 Auburn students complete the Army ROTC program and earn presidential appointments as Army officers a year. Auburn’s Army ROTC students continue to use the skills they learn at Auburn after they leave in order to defend their country to the best of their abilities.” 

Auburn University’s Navy ROTC program is specifically distinguished because it is comprised of students from Auburn as well as students from Tuskegee University. 

This combined program has a total of 176 students. 

Lt. George L. Hirner Jr. said that 142 of these students attend Auburn, and 34 attend Tuskegee. Thirteen percent are female. He added that the most common majors these students enroll in are mechanical, aerospace, electrical, industrial systems and software engineering along with physics and aviation management. 

“Auburn’s Navy ROTC students are well prepared to serve their country at the highest capability once they complete the program,” Hirner said. 

Less than 1 percent of Auburn’s student population consists of members of these three programs. 

These high-achieving students go into business as well as service fields.

Share and discuss “A look inside Auburn's ROTC programs” on social media.