SGA Senate alters qualifications for Elections Board, discusses introducing anti-discrimination bill

<p>Senators listen&nbsp;at SGA Senate in Auburn, Ala. on Monday, April 23, 2018.</p>

Senators listen at SGA Senate in Auburn, Ala. on Monday, April 23, 2018.

SGA Senate voted on amending portions of the Code of Laws to be more concise and discussed adding a Title XVI anti-discrimination statement and changing formal campaigning law at its weekly Senate meeting.

Max Zinner, graduate school senator, presented an amendment to the Code of Laws, which was passed and will clarify rules on appointments to the Elections Board. The amendment was modified from when Zinner presented it a week earlier to keep “academic” in the phrase “good academic standing” as a requirement for membership on the Elections Board.

Zinner said that he could not find a definition of “good standing” within an Auburn University policy, and he does not want prospective members of the Elections Board to be prevented from participating based on an academic hold or something similar.

The amendment also keeps a statement allowing Senate members, executive cabinet or executive officers to be a part of Elections Board if the positions cannot be filled otherwise. 

The Senate also passed an amendment to Chapter 708.4, which outlines rules for formal campaigning. The amendment, which was previously discussed by Zinner, was shortened to prevent libelous or slanderous campaigning regarding “any candidate, campaign or Auburn University.”

The section that was amended previously contained a statement preventing campaigning that would “mar the dignity of Auburn University or its campus.”

Zinner presented an amendment to the Senate for future action that would alter Chapter 704 to be more concise and understandable.

An amendment presented to the Senate would give SGA’s anti-discrimination policy a dedicated section known as Title XVI. It states SGA would comply with the regulations of Auburn University regarding unlawful discrimination or harassment of students.

Title XVI would also add a section specifying what groups are protected from discrimination, such as gender, race, sexual orientation or religion. The section also includes a statement protecting “any combination of the aforementioned classes.”

According to Zinner, this statement is meant to make the section more intersectional, so it can cover instances where there is discrimination based on a combination of two classes, such as race and gender, instead of just discrimination of the individual classes.

Carly Albright, senator from the College of Science and Mathematics, presented an amendment to Chapter 708 that would restrict campaigning within 20 feet of Tiger Transit stops or crosswalks on voting days.

Albright said the purpose of this amendment is to ensure safety near busy roads and prevent campaigns from interfering with people trying to use the transit.

Another bill introduced to Senate would purchase test prep books for the GRE, MCAT, GMAT, PCAT and DAT for students to use. The cost of the sets would be split with the Auburn University Library.

Also introduced was a bill that would pay for Conglomerate photos for major candidates in SGA fall and spring elections. It would pay for photos for up to 25 candidates.

Share and discuss “SGA Senate alters qualifications for Elections Board, discusses introducing anti-discrimination bill” on social media.