Auburn starting online graduate certificate in restoration ecology

<p>Smoke and flames&nbsp;from an apparent controlled burn billows into the air over forest land on Old Columbus Parkway in Lee County, Ala., on Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2016. The Alabama Forestry Commission had to bring a bulldozer to help put the fire out that grew to 300 acres.</p>

Smoke and flames from an apparent controlled burn billows into the air over forest land on Old Columbus Parkway in Lee County, Ala., on Wednesday, Oct. 5, 2016. The Alabama Forestry Commission had to bring a bulldozer to help put the fire out that grew to 300 acres.

The Auburn University School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences recently started an online graduate certificate in restoration ecology, intended to serve the educational needs of working professionals.

“This certificate will provide an essential understanding of ecological restoration best practices for the rehabilitation of degrading forests and other wildlife habitats,” said John Wigginton, Southeast Regional Director at Westervelt Ecological Services. 

Wigginton is recognized by the Society of Ecological Restoration as a certified ecological restoration practitioner.

The program is designed to help students improve their critical thinking and communication skills while gaining a greater understanding of terrestrial ecosystems and the practices used for their restoration.

“Whether you are a private landowner, manage property for business, government or a land trust or are an environmental educator; a graduate certificate in restoration ecology will complement your professional skills or position you to transition to graduate school,” said Becky Barlow, professor and restoration ecology certificate program coordinator.

The program was designed as an online program to best serve working professionals looking to continue their education and obtain advanced degrees in their areas of career interest while still working in the field.

“Online certificate programs support graduate-level education for both non-residential and non-traditional students who would like to advance their knowledge and careers, while still remaining accessible to their employers and families,” said Janaki Alavalapati, dean of the school of forestry and wildlife sciences.

Students must complete 15 hours of online coursework to receive their graduate certificate. In their coursework, the students will develop different projects that use their academic and real-world experiences.

Share and discuss “Auburn starting online graduate certificate in restoration ecology” on social media.