Auburn Family needs to take better care of those with autism

et many people still do not grasp the full concept of it. I was in this category myself, that is until I had the opportunity this summer to nanny my younger cousin who happens to be diagnosed with autism. 

When my aunt and uncle asked me to temporarily watch my 6-year-old cousin this summer until they could find a program to care for him while they were at work. I agreed to help. 

I began with the understanding that it was only temporary because I can admit, I was a little nervous. 

I have heard the campaigns year after year — Autism Awareness, Autism Speaks and so forth — but I still was not entirely sure what it was or how it affected those diagnosed with it.

I was able to witness firsthand this summer the difficulties of raising a child in such unaccommodating communities.

My uncle contacted several summer programs about my cousin, none of which were willing to watch him because they insisted they “would not be able to give him the individual attention he needs.” 

This obstacle my uncle was faced with baffled me because I thought to myself, “What would he have done if I hadn’t agreed to help, and what do other families do that do not have family members that can help?”

The point of my uncle moving to Auburn was not only for the convenience of being closer to work, but because they were under the impression that Auburn would have more resources and accommodations with the University programs for special education majors. 

It was a significant disappointment to find out this was not to be the case.

It is outrageous that many communities do not have programs in place for children with autism and other social disorders. 

What happens to the children whose parents cannot afford those exorbitant programs? Are they left to be neglected due to an economic standing they have no control over?

All families cannot afford to have an in-house parent or afford to pay the costs of hiring a nanny. But, that does not make them any less deserving of help and resources. 

What happened to the idea that it takes a village to raise a child? 

Especially in a small town like Auburn, I expected more of the community camaraderie that encourages helping your neighbor because it’s the right thing to do, not because of alternative, monetary motives. 

I would like to see the community of Auburn working together on creating more opportunities for families that do not have the time or money to spend on steep programs and babysitters. 

It is not enough to just have the teachers at school and the special education bus send the child home and be done with the situation. Just because school ends at 2:35 p.m. does not mean the parents get off work at that time, and the children do not stop needing assistance after school hours. 

We need to step up as a community and not just become aware, but be active in raising children of all backgrounds and abilities, including those who have autism and other special needs. 

This is Auburn — let’s be a real family. 

MaKayla Smith is a senior in communications at Auburn.

Share and discuss “Auburn Family needs to take better care of those with autism” on social media.