Junior DB Javaris Davis returning to Auburn for final season

Javaris Davis (13) during Auburn Football vs. Arkansas on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

Javaris Davis is the cherry on top.

Kevin Steele's defense received a monstrous boost Tuesday with defensive end Marlon Davidson, safeties Jeremiah Dinson and Daniel Thomas, and now, defensive back Davis all announcing they will be returning to Auburn for their senior years. Cornerback Jamel Dean's NFL decision marks the only non-graduate loss for the Tigers' 2019 defense.

Davis took to Twitter for his announcement:

An SEC All-Freshman in 2016, Davis started at the Nickel/Star position for Auburn last season. The junior from Jacksonville, Florida, tallied 41 total tackles and a pair of interceptions — a near-pick-6 against Arkansas and a first-quarter INT against Purdue in the team's bowl game.

Auburn expects Davis to be the final NFL decision left on the roster. If that holds true, the Tigers will lose quarterback Jarrett Stidham, receiver Darius Slayton and Dean to the draft. Defensive tackle Derrick Brown, defensive end Nick Coe, offensive tackle Prince Tega Wanogho, offensive guard Marquel Harrell, Davidson, Thomas, Dinson and Davis spurned the NFL. 

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Junior DB Javaris Davis returning to Auburn for final season” on social media.