5-star Georgia OT commit Broderick Jones 'definitely coming back' to Auburn after visit

<p>Broderick Jones after a visit to Auburn on Jan. 13, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Broderick Jones after a visit to Auburn on Jan. 13, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn’s current recruiting cycle revolves heavily around offensive line development. There’s pressure on head coach Gus Malzahn and position coach J.B. Grimes to stockpile and develop depth up front as Auburn could start five seniors next season after a disappointing 2018 campaign for the O-line.

That focus starts with the Tigers’ 2019 class. Top offensive line target Kamaar Bell took an official visit over the weekend, and the vibes were positive in Auburn’s favor. 

However, Malzahn and Grimes are looking even further ahead for more depth at the position. And they’re going after an arch-rival’s commit to do so.

Auburn received a visit from Broderick Jones, a five-star offensive tackle in the 2020 class, over the weekend. Jones has been committed to Georgia since April 2018.

The nation’s No. 3 tackle said it won’t be the last time he’ll be taking a trip to The Plains.

“Just a family feel,” Jones said of his visit. “I’ll definitely be coming back.”

A 6-foot-6, 275-pound prospect from Lithonia, Georgia, Jones said there’s still a long way to go in his recruitment, and he’s enjoying learning about different programs during the process.

“The recruitment process is still going,” Jones said. “No surprises, still being recruited, still taking visits, still sight-seeing. Just a lot of stuff going on.”

Jones’ next visit will be to Georgia, followed by South Carolina and Tennessee. 

During his Auburn visit, Jones said he spent close to an hour with Grimes, talking about “football, life and life after football.” Jones added that his impressions of Malzahn were “great.”

Auburn currently has four commits in the 2020 class, ranking 12th in the nation per 247Sports Composite. 

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “5-star Georgia OT commit Broderick Jones 'definitely coming back' to Auburn after visit” on social media.