SGA officers announce rest of newly selected executive team

“I’m so excited about the experience and the diversity of perspectives that we’re adding to the executive team this year Our open-application process really did produce a team where every member now has a vision and shares a passion to really enhanc

SGA President Mary Margaret Turton, left; Vice President Carlos Smith, top right; and Treasurer Hunter Short, bottom right, participate in a debate.

The newly elected SGA executive officers have laid the groundwork for the upcoming year and named the rest of their executive team. 

This year, the elected SGA officers broke from tradition and had an open-application process for the rest of the positions as opposed to closed selection and interview process of past years.

“I’m so excited about the experience and the diversity of perspectives that we’re adding to the executive team this year,” said SGA president elect Mary Margaret Turton . “Our open-application process really did produce a team where every member now has a vision and shares a passion to really enhance the student experience.”

In the first year of the open-application process, there were 18 applicants for the six executive positions. After a series of interviews, the SGA president, vice president and treasurer selected the rest of their team.

Executive Officers: 

• President: Mary Margaret Turton
  • Vice President: Carlos Smith
  • Treasurer: Hunter Short
  • Chief of Staff: Jordan Kramer
  • Executive Secretary: Olivia Dobbs
  • EVP of Communications of Marketing: Jack Wilbanks
  • EVP of Initiatives: Julianne Lyn
  • EVP of Outreach: Ashley Satterfield
  • EVP of Programs: Katherine Neil

Each of the members of the executive team have had previous experience with SGA, and at least two members, Wilbanks and Satterfield, were a part of Turton’s campaign team.

Kramer, junior in political science, is the outgoing EVP of outreach, and he has previously served as a senator for the College of Liberal Arts. He is now going to serve as chief of staff.

“Kramer’s skillset will be valuable in keeping the executive team on track with our goals, improve the efficiency of the transition period and will be the ultimate connector between all members of SGA,” Turton said. 

Dobbs, junior in supply-chain management, is an outgoing SGA at-large senator, and she has previously served as the director of Hey Day.  She is the new executive secretary.

“Dobbs’ talent for encouraging collaboration and developing excitement among diverse groups will allow her to foster strong relationships and accountability within SGA,” Turton said. 

WIlbanks, sophomore in public relations and political science, is the outgoing assistant vice president of creative marketing and has previously served as a member of Freshman Forum and Lobby Board. He is the new EVP of communications and marketing.

“Wilbanks’ attention to detail, strong technical skillset and desire to serve the student body will allow him to publicize all facets of SGA,” Turton said. 

Lyn, junior in public relations, is the outgoing AVP of outreach projects and has previously served as the director of town halls. She will serve as EVP of initiatives.

“Lyn’s passion for service will allow her to lead the initiatives branch, effectively communicate the student opinion and make certain it is at the heart of every decision made by SGA,” Turton said.

Satterfield, junior in public administration, is the outgoing AVP of external affairs and previously served as a member of Lobby Board as well as the director of governmental relations. She is the new EVP of outreach.

“Satterfield will be an asset to the outreach branch because she values perspectives of all students, will work tirelessly to collect continuous feedback and ensure that each individual student feels empowered to share their opinions with SGA,” Turton said. 

Neil, junior in media studies, is an outgoing AVP of programs, which is responsible for homecoming, Miss AU Scholarship program and Holliday Lighting. She has also served as an assistant director of Better Relations Day and assistant station manager for Eagle Eye TV. She is the EVP of programs.

“Neil will be a positive source of motivation and invaluable resource for her programs branch because of her invaluable attention to detail and overall vision for SGA,” Turton said. 

Turton said the SGA executive officers are trying to emphasize outreach this year, so she is excited that three members of the executive team — Kramer, Lyn and Satterfield — have had previous experience with SGA outreach efforts. 

“Outreach is the physical touchpoint of SGA to the student body,” Turton said. “Outreach is dedicated to making sure all voices are heard, dedicated to diversity and inclusion and really understanding perspectives,” Turton said. 

The outgoing SGA executive officers received flack last year when their closed-application process resulted in the least diverse executive team in a several years. 

Turton said she hoped that having an open-application process would result in receiving a diverse pool of applicants with different perspectives and different campus backgrounds. 

“From the pool of applicants we received, we made the decisions that we believe will represent the student body as a whole best,” Turton said. “That dedication to outreach I think is showing our dedication to diversity and inclusion.” 

This weekend is transition weekend in which the current SGA executive team will meet with the new executive team. The new positions will officially begin their terms on March 3. 

Turton encouraged members of the student body who have a desire to be involved with SGA to apply for the rest of the cabinet positions, which will have open applications soon.

Share and discuss “SGA officers announce rest of newly selected executive team” on social media.