Q&A with Laura Davenport, candidate for Miss Auburn

Laura Davenport, candidate for Miss Auburn, on Jan. 31, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

Laura Davenport, junior in biomedical sciences, is one of five candidates for 2019 Miss Auburn. We sent a questionnaire to each of the candidates. The questions and Davenport's responses can be seen below. Elections will be held Tuesday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

We gave each of the candidates for Miss Auburn 30 seconds to pitch their case to students. Here's what they said.

Q: What are the characteristics you want to exemplify when representing the University?

A: I hope that while representing this university, I exemplify only the characteristics that reflect positively on Auburn as a whole. I hope to be someone that is approachable to all students and willing to serve to my fullest capacity. I hope to handle myself with humility and poise in the most difficult of situations. Above all things, I hope to remain honest and truthful with those around me about what is really going on in my life and continue to deepen the relationships I’ve been blessed with.  

Q: Why do you care about Auburn University as a whole?

A: As a second-generation Auburn student, I grew up loving Auburn. I was the child that was dressed as Aubie for every Halloween my parents documented (until I out grew the costume of course). Needless to say, it was a dream of mine to one day attend Auburn University. It was the only place I applied when it came to decide on a college. My time here has only reinforced my love for this place. My freshman year not an easy one. I wasn’t completely sure who I was, and what I stood for. I was constantly trying to convince the people around me that everything was great and that I had it all together. The next two years I spent here, were much different. The people that were a part of them helped me grow and challenged me daily. They rekindled my love for this university. My time here has given me so much more than I ever thought possible. My love language is acts of service and it only makes sense for me to serve the place I love most. I am only completely fulfilled when I am serving the people around me the best way I know how. I hope that I am able to demonstrate my love through more than my words, but instead demonstrate it through my actions. 

Q: What are the top priorities in your platform?

A: My platform is centered around the line of the Creed I strive to improve upon daily: “I believe in honesty and truthfulness without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men.” I’ve chosen this line in regards to how it applies to our interactions with the people around us. I believe it’s important that we are honest with ourselves about how we interact with people who might be from different walks of life than we are.  We need to address any unconscious bias that might still exist in our day to day interactions. Inclusiveness and diversity begin with our day to day interactions with our peers and colleagues. My second priority in my platform is encouraging truthfulness I think truthfulness is the core of healthy relationships. My first few semesters at Auburn, I felt the need to act like I had it all together and that everything was great all the time. It wasn’t until later on that I realized that it takes strength to be truthful about what is really going on in my life. I’ve since been blessed with friends that meet me wherever I’m at. My final priority centers around redefining fellow men. I believe when George Petrie wrote the Creed, “fellow men” looked a lot different than it does today. “Fellow men” is no longer just men, but women and people from all different places with diverse perspectives. I am proud to be a part of a university that is moving towards a new definition of fellow men.

Q: What experiences have had the biggest impact on your Auburn experience?

A: Camp War Eagle without a doubt was the best experience I’ve had during my time at Auburn. Going into my time as a counselor, my confidence was subpar at best. I was unsure of what I brought to the table and of my own abilities. The staff in the First Year Experience Office helped me grow into someone who was confident in myself and has without a doubt shaped my Auburn experience. They even further amplified my love for Auburn University.  It was such a privilege to pour into so many incoming freshmen and share with them about my time and experiences at Auburn. Watching them grow through their first semester here has been nothing short of a privilege and honor. It’s been an absolute blessing to share my love with them, and watch them thrive in their individual facets. 

Share and discuss “Q&A with Laura Davenport, candidate for Miss Auburn” on social media.