LIVE UPDATES: President Donald Trump tours Lee County tornado damage

President Donald Trump lands in Fort Benning, GA, before boarding Marine One to tour tornado damage in Alabama on Friday, March 8, 2019.

UPDATE: 2:42 p.m.

Trump arrived back at the Auburn University Regional Airport and quickly boarded Marine One back to Lawson Army Airfield in Ft. Benning. 

UPDATE: 1:35 p.m.

The president and his motorcade and company have all departed Providence Baptist Church in Beauregard and are on their way back to Auburn University Regional Airport to leave on Marine One back to Fort Benning to go to Mar-a-Lago in Florida for a fundraising event.

Before leaving, the president and first lady held hands as they took a few moments to give respect to the victims, observing crosses made for all 23 of the victims. 

UPDATE: 1:21 p.m.

After privately visiting with families affected by the tornado, Trump thanked all of the volunteers that have helped the community. He told them that they were doing "a plus job."

“We’re gonna take care,” Trump said. “FEMA is here.”

He said that he had never seen anything like the damage he surveyed earlier in his visit. 

“We couldn’t get here fast enough,” Trump said. “I wanted to come the day it happened.”

According to a pool report, Trump said that Gov. Ivey asked him to give the community a few days before visiting.

“We love you all," he said. "We love the state of Alabama.”

While inside the church, the president and first lady met with survivors and first responders, shaking their hands and signing items for them. 

UPDATE: 12:58 p.m.

Gov. Ivey toured the destruction with the president and thanked him for coming.

"We're stronger together," Ivey said.

UPDATE: 12:43 p.m.

The president and company arrived to the shelter at Providence Baptist Church at 12:30 p.m. to visit dozens of families. The auditorium was filled with toiletries, clothes, school supplies and other necessities for those who lost their homes in the tornado.

Family and friends of Marshall Lynn Grimes and Sheila Creech spoke with Trump as they toured part of the damage. They showed the president Grimes' Bible and motorcycle vest, according to a pool report. Trump hugged the family.

UPDATE: 12:33 p.m.

The president and first lady just met with a family who lost four relatives during Sunday’s storms.

UPDATE: 12:22 p.m.

The president is now on the ground in Beauregard, Alabama, meeting with families affected by the tornado.

President Trump's motorcade arrived in Beauregard at 11:55 a.m. CST. 

While passing through much of the damage on the way to meet the families at the shelter, according to a pool report, the motorcade passed neighborhoods that had been destroyed in the March 3 tornado. 

The president and first lady are joined by Ben Carson, secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development; Kirstjen Nielsen, secretary of the Department of Homeland Security; and Peter Gaynor, deputy administrator for the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

Local officials joining the president include Gov. Kay Ivey, State EMA Director Brian Hastings, Sheriff Jay Jones and Kathrine Carson, director of Lee County Emergency Management Agency.

UPDATE: 11:50 a.m.

President Trump and the first lady are en route to survey the damage of the Sunday tornado and visit those affected and families of victims.The motorcade passed Beauregard High School, where many residents waited outside to watch it pass on its way to the shelter at Providence Baptist Church.

UPDATE: 11:23 a.m.

President Trump arrived at Auburn University Regional Airport at 11:22 a.m. in Marine One with First Lady Melania Trump. Governor Ivey and other dignitaries are waiting to greet the president and first lady. 

Senator Doug Jones, D-Alabama, and Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones were among the first to greet the president and first lady after exiting the helicopter.

“During the flight from Fort Benning, Georgia, to Lee County, Alabama, President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump will participate in an aerial tour of areas impacted by the tornadoes," the White House said in a statement.

According to a pool report, Senator Richard Shelby, R-Alabama, and Representative Mike Roger, R-Alabama, flew with the president on Air Force One.

UPDATE: 11:01 a.m.

Air Force One arrived at Fort Benning, Georgia, at 10:43 a.m. CST,  and President Trump and the first lady exited the plane, waved to the crowd and boarded Marine One, on his way to Lee County. Marine One departed at 11:05 a.m.

Air Force One will remain at Fort Benning while the president visits Beauregard, Alabama.

The president and first lady were greeted by Georgia Governor Brian Kemp. Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill was among the crowd when the president touched down in Air Force One in Fort Benning.

UPDATE: 9:40 a.m.

The president boarded Air Force One at 10:04 a.m. ET Friday morning, en route to Lawson Army Airfield.

“Today, President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump will travel to Lee County, Alabama, to survey the devastation from the recent tornadoes, meet with survivors and local officials, and thank our brave first responders," the White House said in a statement.

President Donald Trump is visiting Lee County to tour tornado damage Friday.

The president is expected to visit some of the hardest-hit areas in southern Lee County about 15 miles from Auburn.

The president will land at Fort Benning's Lawson Army Airfield around lunch before traveling west to Lee County.

Trump's visit comes after Coroner Bill Harris said Thursday that the death toll from Sunday's tornadoes remains at 23.

Four remained hospitalized Thursday in ICUs in Columbus, Birmingham and Opelika. 

Lee County Sheriff Jay Jones said Thursday that a few instances of looting have been reported in some of the affected areas of southern Lee County since a tornado ripped through the area.

"We have addressed that immediately when we do have that," Jones said. "I'm happy to report that the reports have been few, and we aim to keep it that way."

Trump declared a major disaster declaration for Lee County on Tuesday, opening up federal funds and FEMA assistance for those affected by the storm.

To apply for FEMA aid, visit disasterassistance.gov.

Gov. Kay Ivey visited the affected areas Wednesday, and Sen. Doug Jones visited Beauregard, Smiths Station and East Alabama Medical Center on Thursday to meet with survivors and victims' families.

Chip Brownlee | Editor-in-chief

Chip Brownlee, senior in journalism and political science, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Mikayla Burns | Managing Editor

Mikayla Burns, senior in journalism and Spanish, is managing editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “LIVE UPDATES: President Donald Trump tours Lee County tornado damage” on social media.