IMPACT volunteer opportunities begin Tuesday

<p>IMPACT will start its service projects on Tuesday, Sept. 3.&nbsp;</p>

IMPACT will start its service projects on Tuesday, Sept. 3. 

IMPACT, Auburn’s largest volunteer organization, will be back in full effect on Tuesday. 

Peyton Parra, president of IMPACT, said there won’t be any changes to the sites this semester, but there was a lot of work she and the rest of the executive team put in to making adjustments over the summer. 

“Most of these project sites we’ve been with for many years, and it’s kind of neat to meet up with them and get to know those individuals, because a lot of them have given their life to whatever cause it may be,” Parra said. “It’s cool to see their passion, especially over the summer when things have kind of died down. It’s nice to get that passion back up, and it reminds you why we do this anyway.” 

This year, the same 16 sites will be available for students to volunteer at. 

With a wide variety of volunteer sites and 55 different times throughout the week, IMPACT tries to make the schedule flexible enough for any student to be able to volunteer.

IMPACT will have 66 project coordinators this semester. 

Unlike some student organizations that have a tremendous amount of turnover from year to year, Parra said IMPACT has a healthy balance of returning leaders and new leaders as project coordinators. 

Once a month, all of the project coordinators come together to bond and do a different project as a group. 

The first will be at the Jason Dufner Foundation, and in October they will hold a fall festival at Joyland Child Development Center. 

Ahead of each volunteering time, project coordinators and volunteers meet at the intramural fields to head to the sites together. 

For Parra, IMPACT has always been an opportunity to have a perspective check. Now a senior, she has volunteered since the first semester of her freshmen year. 

“I love to take a step back,” Parra said. “It’s a great two hours where you’re not worried about classes or your tests or anything. You’re focused on service in whatever capacity that may be.” 

Parra said IMPACT also provides students real, tangible experience with fields that they may want to go into after school. 

“I love how it’s super convenient,” Parra said. “I think it’s hard when you have your course load, and you don’t know what you’re going to be able to commit to in the semester. So what’s nice with IMPACT is you can show up when you’re free, but you’re not committing to showing up every week as a volunteer. It’s whatever works for you.”

Share and discuss “IMPACT volunteer opportunities begin Tuesday” on social media.