Trustees approve project initiation for new on-campus housing

Students walking in front of Samford Hall on Wed, Jan. 16, 2019 in Auburn, Ala.

The Auburn University Board of Trustees discussed the need for newer on-campus housing at their Friday morning meeting, as the student population continues to increase.

Facilities Management said it is looking to build new housing and perform renovations on the aging Hill and Cambridge dormitories, based on demand, student satisfaction and the current local market condition.

Many of the details are yet to be worked out, but the project initiation will allow the University to weigh different options with regard to size and location of the new housing. 

Studies have been conducted in recent years on how to improve housing, and the trustees determined new residence halls should be built to last 70 to 80 years.

Dan King, associate vice president for facilities, brought up that the Hill dorms have not seen major renovations in the last 30 years, while Cambridge would need to see remodeling to raise its structural integrity to last another 20 years.

The overall project will take place over the next five to 10 years and is presently only in its first phase while the University searches for a suitable architect to carry out construction. Student housing revenue will be used to fund the necessary work.

SGA President Mary Margaret Turton, who was in attendance at the meeting, expressed her favor of the proposal.

“Students love living on campus,” Turton said. “I really believe the demand is there.”

King said he hopes the project in its current form will “preserve traditional Auburn living arrangements.”

This project will supersede the New Student Housing project initiated in September 2016, according to the Board.

Share and discuss “Trustees approve project initiation for new on-campus housing” on social media.