Matcha truck will open permanent storefront

Victoria McAbee(left) and Jasmine Lee(right) pose in front of Whimsy matcha + coffee bar

In the summer of 2018, self-proclaimed wellness enthusiasts Victoria McAbee and Jasmine Lee began their mission of bringing natural, holistic beverage options to Auburn in the form of Whimsy, a food truck serving matcha and coffee drinks.

The truck has been operating in various locations around the City, but Whimsy is now scheduled to open a permanent storefront location in downtown Opelika.

Drawing inspiration from the wellness culture of the West Coast, the business duo noticed a lack of availability of local healthy options in Auburn, McAbee said. 

“We saw a need in the community and that education was necessary,” she said.

Whimsy has created a platform for McAbee and Lee to equip the community with the tools and knowledge base to integrate wellness into their customers’ daily lives. 

Whimsy serves their customers with a menu full of nutrient-dense matcha beverages. 

“We have turned a lot of coffee drinkers into matcha drinkers, and we take a lot of pride in that,” McAbee said.

Matcha is the fine powder that results from the stone-grounding of raw green tea leaves. 

According to McAbee and Lee, the result of the powder is a delicious beverage that has resulted in their own personal health benefits and the health benefits of their customers. 

McAbee said she has not been sick for over a year because of matcha. 

The community response to McAbee and Lee’s mission of wellness education and availability, in just a year, has resulted in a storefront opening in addition to the truck.

The pair is excited for the shop’s opening before the impending winter, because they want to offer a place for people to gather. 

“People would rather be in a cozy little shop than standing in line at a truck freezing,” McAbee said.

Whimsy has a different vision for their storefront than the traditional model of coffee shops. In place of the order at a bar and wait for your drink system, the Whimsy storefront will be a stark contrast. 

“You take a seat wherever you like and you’ll have a server that personally takes care of you,” McAbee said. 

The cafe will have an upscale feel to it, McAbee said.

The truck will continue to operate as a grab–and–go system, but the cafe will have ample seating for people to congregate. 

“It’s going to be what you would expect on an upscale menu, a little bit more minimal,” McAbee said.

The cafe will continue to serve wellness matcha and coffee beverages with the addition of an array of outsourced baked goods. 

The cafe will offer gluten-free and vegan options. 

“We focus on serving our customers well,” McAbee said. “The menu is small, but each option was intentionally chosen to cater to the diet and health needs of the community.”

The aim of the cafe is to be accommodating for all people and to offer a menu that meets all dietary restrictions, she said.

“Our main mission is inclusivity,” McAbee said. 

McAbee and Lee are grateful for the opportunities they’ve had in Auburn and aim to continue expanding their brand. 

“We are very blessed that people have decided to come to us,” McAbee said. 

The truck and storefront are only the beginning. The business pair is optimistic for the future of Whimsy, McAbee said.  

“With the growth we’ve experienced this year, I do hope and anticipate Whimsy becoming a national brand by the end of 2020,” she said.

Share and discuss “Matcha truck will open permanent storefront ” on social media.