Tale of the Tape: What led to Auburn's offensive explosion against Miss State?

<p>Auburn runs the ball during Auburn vs. Mississippi State, on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Auburn runs the ball during Auburn vs. Mississippi State, on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn continued to break the trend of slow starts that had been seen in the first couple games of the season.

This was a game where Auburn's offensive line was able to take on the Bulldogs' defensive line and win. Bo Nix felt no pressure the entire game, allowing him to air it out and become more confident in the passing game. 

Nix went 16 for 21 passing for 335 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions. He also rushed for 56 carries on seven attempts, becoming the third Auburn quarterback to throw for 300-plus yards and rush for 50-plus yards in a single game. 

he other two to do so are Cam Newton in the 2010 SEC Championship game and Jason Campbell in the 2004 Tennessee game.

Let's start Tale of the Tape with something a little different from last week's edition. Auburn's defense was dominant from the get go. Miss State's first drive from scrimmage results in an easy three-and-out. On this third down Auburn goes to a dime package and chooses to bring the heat early. Kylin Hill does not seem to have any interest in blocking Jeremiah Dinson while Owen Pappoe freely pressures from up the middle. Easy sack by the Auburn defense.

Auburn's first possession of the game ends up being a lot different than Miss State's. On the very first play Gus Malzahn goes straight to this season's ole faithful with a GT counter to the boundary. 

Mike Horton and Prince Tega Wanogho do a wonderful job of creating a hole for Boobee Whitlow to run through. Whitlow makes a great cut to turn this play into a touchdown. The only person who had a chance was the backside safety but it looks like he goes wide because it looked like Boobee was going off tackle. 

Auburn came into this game wanting from the start to focus on Nix and the passing game. Auburn uses a Flag-Flat concept that ended up working all night. Great protection from the offensive line gives Nix all the time he need. 

The flat defender stays low with Spencer Nigh leaving Seth Williams wide open. There's excellent footwork and route running by Williams followed by an even better throw from Nix.

Auburn scores its third touchdown of the game with a handoff to Anthony Schwartz who goes around the end untouched. This play shows how special Schwartz can be for Auburn this season. Not often can you run this play on such short of a field, but Schwartz speed outmatches everybody. 

This touchdown never happens though without great blocks from Nigh, Williams, Tega and Malik Miller.

Williams is looking more and more like the player Auburn fans all thought he could be. Also, the fans will love this play because it is a slant. It's a quick slant over the middle which comes at a time where Miss State is in soft coverage. 

Will Hastings also pulls a linebacker which if he goes for Williams instead, then Hastings would have got the target.

Tale of the Tape will end just how it started — with a defensive play. Marlon Davidson gets inside the tackle to cause pressure and Derrick Brown creates a massive push as Big Kat Bryant come around the left side. 

K.J. Britt comes in and finishes the play.

Share and discuss “Tale of the Tape: What led to Auburn's offensive explosion against Miss State?” on social media.