David Dobrik gives cash prizes to support philanthropic cause

David Dobrik speaks during the Q&A at the UPC event on Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

On Nov. 12, the University Program Council hosted a Q&A with Youtube vlogger David Dobrik. During the event, Dobrik handed out cash prizes to three students.

Two of the students who won cash had brought the most cans for the Beat Bama Food Drive, while the other was raising money for Auburn University Dance Marathon’s Children’s Hospital Fundraiser. 

Alex Ocampo, senior in biomedical sciences, won a cash prize of $5,000. He brought 600 cans for the BBFD to be donated to the Food Bank of East Alabama to help end food insecurity and hunger.

“I am a big fan of David Dobrik, but I was actually in New York this morning.” Ocampo said. “I came back to Auburn at about four, and I texted a buddy of mine that is in UPC. I asked my friend what the most donations was so far, and then I went to Sam’s Club and got a bunch of cans.”

Ocampo said that he found out about the canned food drive and the David Dobrik event after he had returned from New York. 

“I thought at the very least it was a great donation for a great cause.” Ocampo said. “I seriously had no expectations out of it.”

At the end of the show, Dobrik mentioned the two winners of the competition and said that he wanted to give them a signed can. Once he handed over the can, he said he also put a $10,000 check inside for the two winners to split. Ocampo said Dobrik brought the winners on stage to take a picture. 

“To be honest, I was excited to get a signed can back, when I found out there was a check inside I was in shock.” Ocampo said. “I have never used the word shook before, but all I can say is that I was shook.”

Ocampo said he wants to use money to go towards school, fraternity and savings.

Share and discuss “David Dobrik gives cash prizes to support philanthropic cause” on social media.