Tale of the Tape: What Auburn can learn from narrow Ole Miss win

<p>Christian Tutt (6) runs with the game-sealing interception during Auburn football vs. Ole Miss on Nov. 2, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Christian Tutt (6) runs with the game-sealing interception during Auburn football vs. Ole Miss on Nov. 2, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn returned home last Saturday and left Jordan-Hare Stadium with a 20-14 win over Ole Miss.

The offense rebounded with 507 yards of total offense. Bo Nix finished the game 30 of 44 for 340 yards — his second 300-plus-yard passing game this season. The defense had another dominant game, shutting down Ole Miss to 266 total yards of offense.

Let's break down the plays.

D.J. Williams has been filling in as Auburn's go-to running back while Boobee Whitlow continues to work his way back 100 percent healthy. Williams finished the game with 93 yards on 24 carries and a touchdown. 

Nix quickly checks off his receivers and sees an open Williams who runs for the first down. Williams has shown good hands and having a running back as a pass option will only help Nix.

The wheel route has been Harold Joiner's go-to play this year and it works perfectly here. Joiner takes off on the play-action wheel route, running past two Ole Miss defenders in the process. Joiner shows off his athleticism on this play while picking up a key block from Shedrick Jackson. The play is stopped just short of the touchdown with Ole Miss bringing Joiner down at the 1.

Auburn's defense was stout all game and this play shows again why its defensive line has been so dominant. Ole Miss goes for a run straight up the middle on a third-and-4 but, from the beginning, its offensive line is halted to a standstill. Zakoby McClain does a great job shedding the block and stuffing the running back at the second level.

Finally, we go back to the defense for the final play. Auburn does a good job of applying pressure and containing with T.D. Moultry and Big Kat Bryant. Owen Pappoe closes in and shows off his speed by getting to the quarterback to force a throw. Christian Tutt intercepts the ball and continues to follow his blockers until he is brought down short of a pick-six.

Share and discuss “Tale of the Tape: What Auburn can learn from narrow Ole Miss win ” on social media.