Auburn residents share who earned their vote

A polling station on Tuesday, March. 3, 2020, in Auburn, Ala.

Residents of Auburn went to one of the City’s polling locations to cast their vote in the Republican or Democratic presidential primary and Alabama Senate primary on March 3.

The polls opened at 7 a.m. and continued running until 7 p.m. The Clarion Inn, one of five polling locations in Auburn, was filled with voters at 6 p.m. Many voters said the polls were still running smoothly and quickly.

“It was very fast,” said Olivia Schweikart, fifth year senior at Auburn University with a double major in organismal biology and animal science. “I was expecting it to maybe be a little bit more packed with it about to end.”

Despite a rush from individuals leaving work, voters found little to no waiting lines.

“No problems, I went right in,” said James Artis. “The line wasn’t too long right now, so we just went right in.”

Artis said he voted for Joe Biden in the Democratic Presidential primary. The most important issues facing the nation, to Artis, are climate change and healthcare. 

Gabriel Rouse, 23, also said he was concerned with healthcare, but he thinks Sen. Bernie Sanders’ policies are a better solution. Rouse, who voted for Sanders in the Democratic primary, also supports Sanders’ policies on education.

Because Alabama runs a closed primary, voters must declare a party affiliation and are not permitted to vote in any of the opposite party’s primary elections. In the Republican Senate primary election, former Auburn football coach Tommy Tuberville has become a frontrunner. 

Paul Ridley voted for Tuberville over Jeff Sessions, who once held the seat that is up for election in November before being appointed to Attorney General.

“Jeff Sessions had his chance,” Ridley said. “I voted for Tuberville.”

Ridley cited Tuberville’s connection to Auburn as one of the things that made the candidate so attractive to him. 

Troy Godwin, 52, also voted for Tuberville and said his Auburn connection was important, but he found Tuberville’s character more important. 

“I think he’s an honest, hardworking guy,” Godwin said. 

Godwin was enthusiastic leaving the poll and said he makes sure to vote every time he has the opportunity.

“My dad served in WWII, and he was a strong believer in the right to vote,” Godwin said. “I hope I pass that on to my children one day.”

Evan Mealins | Editor-in-chief

Evan Mealins, senior in philosophy and economics, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

@EvanMealins

ecm0060@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn residents share who earned their vote” on social media.