City to remain open amid coronavirus closures

Auburn City Hall on Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

The City of Auburn has plans in place to allow the City to continue to operate, Mayor Ron Anders announced in a video statement released Thursday afternoon. This comes after the Auburn University announcement to transition to online instruction following spring break. 

As of the recording of the video, there are no known cases of the virus in Alabama. The City has a longstanding business continuity plan to ensure Auburn is able to maintain city services in the case of a situation such as a weather disaster or pandemic, according to the video. 

The City has a task force in place with different departments that will collaborate and evaluate the situation, according to the video. 

“The City staff is here to continue to serve the community through our 911 and public safety services as well as water and sewer services, trash collection, road and infrastructure maintenance and more,” Anders said in the video. 

Anders encouraged residents to keep an eye on the city’s website, social media and "enotifier" texts and emails for information on city programs and public meetings. For information on the virus, the City has set up a webpage at auburnalabama.org/coronavirus, which includes links to other local and regional information. 

He also encouraged residents to keep their hands clean, adding that businesses in the City will remain open at the business owner's discretion.  

“We encourage you to continue shopping locally, at your discretion,” Anders said in the video. “Our local businesses are still open, and they will decide how to best respond to this situation for their business, their staffs and their customers.”

Elizabeth Hurley | Community Editor

Elizabeth, senior in journalism and political science, is the community editor for The Plainsman

@lizhurley37

community@theplainsman.com

Share and discuss “City to remain open amid coronavirus closures” on social media.