University will allow some students to remain in dorms; most will need to leave

<p>Village dorm buildings on Auburn University’s campus.</p>

Village dorm buildings on Auburn University’s campus.

Auburn University Housing will allow some students to stay in their dorms during the COVID-19 campus closure, but most will have to retrieve belongings in their room on Sunday, March 15 between 12 and 4 p.m. and not return while campus is closed, according to an email sent by Auburn University Housing to on-campus residents and obtained by The Plainsman.

Students who can't go to their dorm during the specific time-frame will need to submit a COVID-19 item retrieval request to the University, according to the email.

"Please note that this is a request, and you will not have card access during this time unless you receive an email from our department confirming the date and time of your access," the email states.

The University said it will allow some undergraduate students to remain in their residence halls, but those students have to submit a COVID-19 accommodation request. Students who will be considered must state one of the following circumstances:

• An international student who would not be allowed to return to Auburn University because of visa issues
  • An international student who would have difficulty returning to their home country because of it being hit hard by COVID-19
  • A student who does not have a home to go to, or a student who going home would entail returning to unsafe circumstances in either their country or their home life

If a student is approved to go live in a dorm, the email states that the student "may be required to relocate to another building on campus."

Click here to see The Plainsman's full coverage of COVID-19 in the Auburn-Opelika area.

Eduardo Medina | Editor-in-chief

Eduardo Medina, senior in journalism, is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “University will allow some students to remain in dorms; most will need to leave” on social media.