Former Auburn soccer player Bri Folds signs with Swedish professional team

<p>Bri Folds (4) looks for teammates upfield&nbsp;while running with the ball during North Dakota vs. Auburn Soccer on Sunday, Aug. 27, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Bri Folds (4) looks for teammates upfield while running with the ball during North Dakota vs. Auburn Soccer on Sunday, Aug. 27, 2017 in Auburn, Ala.

Former Auburn soccer player Bri Folds is headed to Sweden to play for Kopparbergs Göteborg FC. 

The attacking center midfielder played for Auburn from 2016-2019 before being drafted to the North Carolina Courage this year. She also played for the USA Women’s National Team at all levels through Under-23. Her last tournament was in April of 2019, where she played against Sweden, France and Italy. 

Folds moved to Sweden earlier this month to start training with KG. She has seen playing time in both preseason contests where the team has defeated the first-ranked squad of last season, FC Rosengård, 2-0, and the third-ranked team of last season, Vittsjö, 3-0. 

“I wanted to end up playing overseas, that’s always been a dream of mine,” Folds said. “Just 'cause I like the style of play and I like the travel, so this is what I’ve always wanted to do. Ever since the [COVID] thing, everything has shut down, and it’s been a journey. I’m finally here, and I got to sign, so everything is coming together now. It’s a dream come true, and I’m very happy.”

Bri Folds signing her contract with Kopparbergs Göteborg FC photo via Ignite Talent.  

KG is located in Gothenburg on the west coast of Sweden. The team has finished as runners-up in the last two seasons and qualified for the 2020/2021 UEFA Women’s Champion’s League, which will begin in November. 

KG will start their season on June 28th versus Kristianstad. Folds will be eligible to play in the fourth round of the season versus KIF Örebro in mid-July. 

She signed an 18-month contract as her first professional contract and will wear No. 23. Folds graduated from Auburn with a Bachelor’s degree in Kinesiology.

While at Auburn, she played in 79 games with 24 scoring plays and 25 assists. She was part of Auburn’s Elite 8 team in 2016 in the NCAA Tournament. Folds received many collegiate honors, including being a three-time All-SEC honoree, a two-time United Soccer Coaches All-Region player and a United Soccer Coaches All-American in 2018. 

“My experience at Auburn has definitely gotten me to where I am, and I’m very appreciative of everyone that supported me along the way and will continue to follow my journey wherever I am,” Folds said. “I’d just say War Eagle to that.”

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Former Auburn soccer player Bri Folds signs with Swedish professional team” on social media.