Cornerback X-Factor: Roger McCreary

<p>Roger McCreary (23) catches the ball while warming up at Auburn Football vs. Georgia on Nov. 16, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Roger McCreary (23) catches the ball while warming up at Auburn Football vs. Georgia on Nov. 16, 2019, in Auburn, Ala.

Noah Igbinoghene and Javaris Davis are both members of the Miami Dolphins, leaving a gaping hole at starting cornerback for Auburn in 2020.

The presumed new No. 1? Roger McCreary. 

After stepping into an increased role during his sophomore season, McCreary is the latest in a line of cornerbacks ready to step up.

Carlton Davis and Jamel Dean both had their moments and now find themselves together as a cornerback duo on the Buccaneers. 

Then it was Igbinoghene who played his way into becoming a first-round draft pick in 2020’s NFL draft.

Now it’s McCreary’s turn, making him the cornerback X-Factor for Auburn in 2020.

During the 2019 season, McCreary showed flashes of brilliance, totaling 36 tackles, 11 pass breakups and an interception against Heisman Trophy winner Joe Burrow.

Whether he’s ready or not, Kevin Steele will be leaning on McCreary to be the No. 1 corner and command a young group below him.

In that group is Nehemiah Pritchett, Devan Barrett and freshmen Eric Reed Jr. and Marco Domio.

This is a young, inexperienced group. But with Smoke Monday and Jamien Sherwood bolstering the secondary from the safety positions and Christian Tutt and Jordyn Peters holding down the Nickel/Star spot, they should be able to give this group time to put all the pieces together.

Share and discuss “Cornerback X-Factor: Roger McCreary” on social media.