Auburn Defensive back Traivon Leonard opts out of 2020 season

<p>Auburn cheerleader Jackson Walraven&nbsp;runs with the flag during&nbsp;Auburn vs Vanderbilt football game in Jordan-Hare stadium Nov. 5, 2016.</p>

Auburn cheerleader Jackson Walraven runs with the flag during Auburn vs Vanderbilt football game in Jordan-Hare stadium Nov. 5, 2016.

Auburn will be without senior defensive back Traivon Leonard this season after he announced on Instagram he is opting out of the 2020 season.

Along with opting out, Leonard shared that he had contracted COVID-19 two weeks ago along with a prior health condition that will deter him from performing at his "best ability" this season.

“Dear Auburn family and teammates, After much thought and prayer, I think that it’s best to inform you all that I will be opting out of the 2020 season due to health concerns,” Leonard posted on his Instagram account. “About two weeks ago, I found out that I contracted COVID-19. During that time it became extremely hard to even get out of bed and do normal things like washing my face, etc. I am currently making the strides to get better every day health-wise. I have an underlying condition that will not allow me to participate at my best ability throughout the season."

“To protect myself and my family, it is in my best interest to opt out and focus on those things. This was a tough decision for sure. However, I am in God’s hands. To my teammates, you all gave me the best three years through laughter and fun times on the field. I will definitely miss y’all this year. I appreciate you guys and all the times we had. I wish you all the very best on and off the field. I am one call away and I love all of you. Stay safe fellas.”

During his time at Auburn Leonard has been a reserve defender, appearing in nine total games over the past three seasons.

Leonard is the second Tiger to opt out of the 2020 season with linebacker Chandler Wooten opting out on Thursday.

Share and discuss “Auburn Defensive back Traivon Leonard opts out of 2020 season” on social media.