Gus Malzahn named to the Dodd Trophy coach of the year watch list

Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn talks to his team during the 1st team meeting on Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. 
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Auburn football coach Gus Malzahn talks to his team during the 1st team meeting on Sunday, Aug. 16, 2020 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Head coach Gus Malzahn was named to the Bobby Dodd Trophy preseason watch list on Thursday.

Malzahn is one of 13 coaches named to the preseason watch list, which only included teams playing in the fall. 

The Dodd trophy is awarded annually to the head coach who enjoys success on the gridiron, while also stressing the importance of scholarship, leadership and integrity, according to the release sent out. 

"All of these coaches have persevered through many challenges during their careers, but nothing like what they will face this year," Peach Bowl, Inc. CEO and President Gary Stokan said in the release. "We look forward to seeing how each of these coaches navigate these new challenges to continue to lead their teams, both on and off the field, throughout the course of this unique season."

The winner is selected by a panel of former winners, a member of the national media, a member of the Dodd family and a College Football Hall of Fame member and is announced at the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl at the end of the season. 

The list included four other SEC coaches including Nick Saban, Ed Orgeron, Kirby Smart and Dan Mullen, the most out of any conference. 

No Auburn coach has won the Dodd trophy before.

Share and discuss “Gus Malzahn named to the Dodd Trophy coach of the year watch list” on social media.