Notes from Auburn fall camp: Week 4

Coach Gus Malzahn talks to his team after practice Saturday.
Auburn Football scrimmage on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. 
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics
Coach Gus Malzahn talks to his team after practice Saturday. Auburn Football scrimmage on Saturday, Sept. 12, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Following Auburn's third scrimmage, head coach Gus Malzahn spoke with the media over Zoom to discuss the past week of fall camp. Here were some takeaways:

• Two Auburn players tested positive, forcing 10 to miss practice, including five presumed starters.
  • Malzahn expects them to be back in time for the Kentucky game.
  • Speaking of the Kentucky game, Malzahn said the prep for Kentucky starts tomorrow.
  • Auburn is still figuring out the depth chart in a couple of positions:
  • Left Tackle: Alec Jackson or Austin Troxell 
  • Punter: Aidan Marshall or Oscar Chapman
  • The kick returner still isn't decided. Malzahn mentioned Eli Stove, Shaun Shivers and Mark-Antony Richards as guys that are getting looks at that spot.
  • Running back that's stepping up through fall camp? Shaun Shivers. Though, Malzahn does note that running back coach Cadillac Williams is still trying to evenly distribute the carries between the five backs.
  • Wide receivers stepping up behind Eli Stove, Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz? Shedrick Jackson. Malzahn also made note of freshmen Ze'Vian Capers and Kobe Hudson having a strong fall camp.
  • After Auburn launched Auburn United and began selling T-Shirts with the slogan "Auburn Family Together We Will Unite As One," Malzahn says they sold 4,500 shirts over the first 24 hours. 
  • While Auburn isn't necessarily planning a scrimmage next Saturday, Malzahn says the team will run through situations under the new LED lights, with pumped-in crowd noise at Jordan-Hare next week. Usually, the week before would be a "dress rehearsal," but they have different things planned this year with the season being different.
  • Earlier in fall camp, Malzahn talked about having backup coaches in case someone were to test positive. Malzahn says if he were to test positive, he would try and coach from an isolated spot in the stadium or use Zoom in an effort to still be on the sideline to some extent.

Share and discuss “Notes from Auburn fall camp: Week 4” on social media.