Students find first home game successful

<p>The rolling of Toomer's Corner at the last home game, Saturday, Sept. 26.&nbsp;</p>

The rolling of Toomer's Corner at the last home game, Saturday, Sept. 26. 

On Saturday, Sept. 26, Auburn University hosted its first game day of the football season in Jordan-Hare Stadium against the University of Kentucky. 

Despite differences and complications due to new health regulations and the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, many fans said it was a success. 

In order to keep Auburn fans safe and healthy, the University limited Jordan-Hare Stadium’s capacity and allowed only students to attend to the game.

Students were required by the University to wear face masks that covered both the nose and mouth, physically distance, only sit with those living in the same space, such as a dorm or apartment and remain in their assigned seating zone while in the stadium during the duration of the game.

Lizz Campbell, a War Eagle Girl and senior in marketing, said Auburn exceeded her expectations in being prepared. 

“Every single detail was accounted for, and I applaud the work that the administration did to make it happen,” Campbell said. “It was so great to be back in Jordan-Hare knowing that we were doing it in a safe and organized way that will allow Auburn to continue to remain open.”

Amanda Godwin, sophomore in human development and family studies, said she was able to have a fun time with friends on game day, and it felt as normal as possible while still being safe.

“Auburn football is a huge part of all my college memories and still continues to be, and I am just thankful that I had the ability as a student to make more of those memories and while still being considerate of other students and their safety and health,” Godwin said.

Ragan Burleson, freshman in pre-mechanical engineering, said her game day experience was “surreal.” 

Burleson said her whole life she had been looking forward to the day where she would finally be able to attend an Auburn football game as an official student.

“I’ve waited all my life to be in the stands as a student, and to finally be able to do that was so exciting,” Burleson said.

The Athletics Department said they were also thankful to the students for abiding by the new game day rules.

“We look forward to hosting our students again on Oct. 10 in Jordan-Hare Stadium,” said Evin Beck, Associate Athletics Director for External Relations. “Continued adherence to health and safety measures will help create a safe and healthy game day environment for all students in attendance.”

The next Auburn football game in Jordan-Hare Stadium is set to be on Oct. 10 against the University of Arkansas.

Becca Benner | Culture Writer

Becca Benner, senior in public relations with a minor inmarketing, is a culture writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Students find first home game successful” on social media.