Auburn volleyball drops fall finale 3-0 to Tennessee

Nov 19, 2020; Auburn, AL, USA; Auburn Tigers Audrey Douglas (5) during the volleyball match against Tennessee at Auburn Arena. Mandatory Credit: Shanna Lockwood/AU Athletics

Auburn volleyball fell in three straight sets to Tennessee in the final match of its shortened fall season Thursday in Auburn Arena. 

The first set had seven ties from the opening serve up to the media timeout making the set a back-and-forth affair. Before the media timeout, the Lady Volunteers went on a 4-0 run to give Tennessee a 15-11 lead. 

Auburn came out of the timeout and responded on offense. Junior Tatum Shipes' two kills and blocks from senior Chesney McClellan and freshman Jackie Barrett forced Tennessee to use its first timeout of the set. 

After both sides committed service errors after the Tennessee timeout, The Volunteers found an advantage late in the set and won 25-20. The Lady Volunteers took the final two sets of the match by scores of 25-12 and 25-14, respectively.

Shipes ended the night recording a season-high 12 kills, her second double-digit kill effort of the season. The outside hitter also added one block and seven digs to finish out her night. 

Senior Jaeden Brown earned her first start of the season at outside hitter and was subbed out late in the match, finishing with six kills and one block.

Middle blockers McClellan and freshman Audrey Douglas aided in the Tigers' offense as the duo closed the night with hitting percentages of 4.00. McClellan is accounted for five kills while Douglas tallied four and led the team with two blocks.

Barrett dished out 27 assists at setter and had one block and seven digs.

Senior right-side hitter Lauren Dorrell led Auburn’s defense for the night with a career-high 12 digs, her first double-digit dig performance of her career. Dorrell added four kills and one block, while junior Bella Rosenthall closed the night with nine digs.

Auburn volleyball will return to the court in the spring. The league office will announce final details on SEC spring volleyball at a later date.  

Share and discuss “Auburn volleyball drops fall finale 3-0 to Tennessee” on social media.