Auburn legend, Hall of Famer Kevin Greene passes away

Former NFL player Kevin Greene, who will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2016, speaks in the Hall of Fame press room at the the 5th annual NFL Honors at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium on Saturday, Feb. 6, 2016, in San Francisco. (Photo by Jack Dempsey/Invision for NFL/AP Images)

Former Auburn linebacker and Hall of Famer Kevin Greene has died at age 58, the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced the death Monday.

Greene joined the Tigers as a walk-on. He soon became an Auburn legend, leading the SEC his senior season with 11 sacks. 

He was awarded the 1984 SEC Defensive Player of the Year and the Zeke Smith Award his final season at Auburn. 

Greene was drafted in the fifth round of the NFL draft by the Los Angeles Rams. He worked his way through five teams over his NFL career until 1999. By Greene’s fourth season in the league, he became a starter. 

Greene continued to put up NFL records leading the league in sacks while with the Carolina Panthers in 1966. This year he was awarded NFL Defensive Player of the Year. 

Greene had an all-time career 160 sacks and was named an All-Pro three times over his career. He went on to coach for the New York Jets and the Green Bay Packers where he helped lead them to a Superbowl win. 

His 160 career sacks still ranks third all-time in the NFL record books.

Greene was added to the NFL Hall of Fame in 2016 for his work as a pass rusher. 

Mattison Allen | Sports Writer
Mattison Allen

Mattison Allen is a senior from Springville, Ala. She's majoring in public relations communications with the goal of becoming a sports information director one day. 

@mattcurtlynn

mca0049@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Auburn legend, Hall of Famer Kevin Greene passes away” on social media.