Auburn falls to LSU 104-80

During a game at PMAC on February 20, 2021 in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Photo by: Rebecca Warren

Sharife Cooper had another 20-plus point outing on Saturday, scoring a team-high 26 points against LSU. Despite Cooper's 26 points, Auburn fell to LSU 104-80 in Baton Rouge.  

LSU’s 104 points scored is the school’s highest total against a conference opponent since 1996. It was also the highest point total Auburn has allowed since 2017. 

LSU’s Cameron Thomas led all scorers with 27 points in the contest. LSU shot 50% from 3-point range and 53% from the floor. Auburn struggled offensively and was only 7-of-28 from beyond the arc and shot 37% overall. 

“I’m disappointed,” said Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl. “I thought we had a great game plan. I thought we had a good week of preparation. I thought we were excited about playing. We just didn’t have that edge. That’s a problem. As a result, we got whooped.”

Scoring wasn’t easy for the Tigers, but Allen Flanigan dropped in 13 points and had five of Auburn’s eight assists. JT Thor added 10 points. 

LSU scored with ease on the opposite end, with five scorers landing in double-digits. Trendon Watford scored 18 points and pulled down a game-high 11 boards. 

“I just don’t think they are that much better than our players, but they played it,” Pearl said. “That’s why I’m disappointed. I was surprised that we weren’t locked in. We got beat one on one. They beat us at every position.”

At the half, LSU was up 50-34 and was outrebounding Auburn 26-18. Thomas had 16 of his points in the first, and Cooper had 13. 

Auburn led early in the first half, up 10-5, but that was the last time they had the lead. At one point in the first half, LSU was up by as many as 22 before Auburn closed the half on a 7-0 run. 

In the paint, Javon Franklin pulled down seven rebounds for Auburn, six of which came in the first half. On the night, LSU grabbed 47 boards to Auburn’s 39, which contributed to a 50-38 differential in points in the paint, in favor of LSU. 

“Our big guys are young and not physical enough,” Pearl said. “We don’t have enough physicality and toughness and it really showed tonight. I think we’re better than this. That was my message.”

Since beating No. 12 Missouri on January 26, Auburn has dropped five of the team’s last six games. 

“It’s a matter of pride,” Pearl said. “Our team has gotten better throughout the season, but these other teams have gotten better too. These teams are playing with an edge, playing to get ready for postseason.”

The Tigers (11-12, 5-9 SEC) will return home on Tuesday, after three straight road games, to take on the Florida Gators. 

Share and discuss “Auburn falls to LSU 104-80” on social media.