Bryan Harsin positive for COVID-19

Head Coach Bryan Harsin walks on the field during the 2021 Auburn Football A-Day scrimmage, on Saturday, April 17, 2021, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn head football coach Bryan Harsin has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus, the first-year head coach announced in a statement made Friday.

"Yesterday I tested positive for the COVID-19 virus," Harsin said in the statement. "I am isolating at home while experiencing no symptoms."

Assistant coach Jeff Schmedding will take over as interim head coach until Harsin returns.

"As we have navigated through the pandemic, contingency plans have been in place should a situation like this arise," Harsin said. "We prepared for this. I will continue to participate remotely in meetings and practice. Just like in a game, teams that handle adversity and make necessary adjustments are those that are most successful. I have full confidence in our coaching staff and team. I know they will continue to prepare with the same intensity and focus that they have since camp started.”

Harsin was set to meet with media via Zoom on Friday following the team's scrimmage. The Zoom has been postponed and will be rescheduled for next week.

Caleb Jones | Sports Editor

Originally from Helena, Ala., Caleb Jones is a senior studying journalism at Auburn University. He has been on staff with The Plainsman since 2019.

You can follow him here on Twitter: @calebjsports

Share and discuss “Bryan Harsin positive for COVID-19” on social media.