College GameDay headed for Penn State-Auburn game

<p>Auburn fans cheer during a game against Alabama State on Sept. 11, 2021, from Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama.</p>

Auburn fans cheer during a game against Alabama State on Sept. 11, 2021, from Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Alabama.

College GameDay will be heading to University Park, Pennsylvania, for the Auburn versus Penn State matchup on Sept. 18, the show announced via Twitter Saturday.

It’s the first regular-season matchup between the two schools and will serve as the famous Penn State “white-out” game.

The Tigers and Nittany Lions previously faced off in the 1996 Outback Bowl and the 2003 Capital One Bowl. Penn State dominated the first matchup, winning 43-14.

Auburn and head coach Tommy Tubberville won the 2003 version 13-9.

GameDay’s trip to Happy Valley is nothing new, especially for the white-out game. It will be the ninth time in the shows’ history that the crew travels to University Park.

The announcement also marks the fifth consecutive white-out game the show has been to, dating back to the 2017 season. It should be noted that while last season’s white-out game was canceled amidst COVID-19 protocols for the BIG 10 conference, GameDay was hosted for Penn State’s match-up with No. 3 Ohio State.

The Ohio State game was originally scheduled to be the white-out game before it was announced that fans were to be prohibited throughout the 2020 season.

It can be expected that next week’s matchup will be a Top-25 match-up. Penn State, who defeated Ball State 44-13 on Saturday, is currently ranked No. 11 in the latest poll.

Auburn climbed into the Top-25 right at No. 25 following its victory over Akron in Week 1 and followed that performance with a 62-0 shutout victory over Alabama State.

GameDay will begin at 9 a.m. CST and will air live from University Park on ESPN.

Caleb Jones | Sports Editor

Originally from Helena, Ala., Caleb Jones is a senior studying journalism at Auburn University. He has been on staff with The Plainsman since 2019.

You can follow him here on Twitter: @calebjsports

Share and discuss “College GameDay headed for Penn State-Auburn game” on social media.