EDITORIAL | Join the Plainsman

<p>Applications for the spring 2022 semester close on Dec. 3, 2021.&nbsp;</p>

Applications for the spring 2022 semester close on Dec. 3, 2021. 

Joining The Plainsman will provide students with more than just clips to put on an application — but if that’s what you need, you’ll get an abundance of it — it will also give you relationships that will last. 

Applications for spring 2022 close this Friday, Dec. 3. Even if you miss this deadline while studying for finals or finishing up final projects, there will be an opportunity to apply again in the spring. 

The Plainsman is made up of nine main sections, five of which are writing sections. Those sections are campus, community lifestyle, opinion and sports. The other sections are photo, multimedia, copy and social. 

Copy editors edit content from the writing sections for grammar and style, while the social media team is in charge of how our content is presented to our audience. 

All non-editor positions are open — writers for every section, photographers, but there’s a space for everyone to gain experience and build connections. We’re looking for copy editors, graphic designers, social media managers and anyone who’s interested in multimedia production, like video or podcasts. 

The most useful aspect of The Plainsman is the experience — you’ll get pushed out of your comfort zone, talk to people who you might not have had the opportunity to talk with otherwise and learn valuable communication and writing skills. 

The best aspect of being in The Plainsman, though, is the connections and relationships you’ll make with the people in the organization. Some become bonded by the common interests they share — writing. Others form bonds just from spending so much time together. 

Either way, in both aspects, what you get from The Plainsman is what you put into it. If you want clips, if you want to expand your horizons — you will get that if you work for it. If you want the opportunity to form friendships that will last, you’ll find that with us, too. 

From the Editor-in-Chief

As you get ready for final exams and the end of the semester, I encourage you to consider joining The Plainsman next semester. As we're completely student-run, we depend on students like you for everything we do. 

As a member of The Plainsman, you'll be carrying on a long tradition of award-winning, independent college journalism alongside a staff representing diverse majors, experience levels, races and beliefs. You'll learn things that are useful for any career, meet some amazing people and help share the stories that make Auburn unique. 

When I joined The Plainsman my freshman year, I had no experience, a STEM major and no clue what I was getting myself into. What I found was a group of people who supported me, helped me grow and cared about covering this school and city fairly. The other editors and I are all dedicated to making sure each person that joins The Plainsman finds the same thing. 

To join, just fill out our application on AUInvolve. I look forward to seeing you in the spring!

You can find The Plainsman's spring 2022 application here. (You have to be logged into AUInvolve for the application to show up.)

If you have any other questions about joining The Plainsman, send them to editor@theplainsman.com.

Editorial Board | Fall 2021

Editorials represent the majority view of The Plainsman's editorial board and do not necessarily represent that of the entire newsroom. 

Share and discuss “EDITORIAL | Join the Plainsman ” on social media.