Jake Darling elected SGA treasurer

<p>Jake Darling, junior in finance, behind Cater Hall on Friday, Feb. 5, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Jake Darling, junior in finance, behind Cater Hall on Friday, Feb. 5, in Auburn, Ala.

As students huddled together in the Quad late Friday night, Jake Darling, junior in finance, was announced as SGA Treasurer. Darling was the sole candidate for the position.

“We have a lot of great financial resources here on campus that I’ve found that a lot of students don’t really know about,” he said.

One of those resources is an hour-long seminar hosted by Eric Smith, a financial literacy coach that Regions Bank brings to campus. Last semester, however, "13 students went," Darling said.

In his view, resources like this have the potential to be better promoted, giving students greater access to information that teaches financial literacy such as how to write a check, budget their income and diversify their investments.

Darling previously served as SGA Associate Vice President of finance. In this role, he started a program where students could receive 45-second financial advice in their time between classes.

“Financial knowledge is not something that I find to be very difficult to come across,” Darling said. “The problem is that it’s not on the forefront of students’ minds … I want to take that and present it to students in a way that is easy to access and takes no time at all.”

According to the final results, Darling received 6,907 votes from Auburn students. Overall, 9,141 students voted, giving a total voter turnout of 30.76%.

Trice Brown | Multimedia Editor

Trice Brown, senior in english language arts education, is the multimedia editor of The Auburn Plainsman. 

@bytricebrown

trice@auburn.edu

Share and discuss “Jake Darling elected SGA treasurer” on social media.