Jessie Blaine picks up first SEC Freshman of the Week honors

<p>Jessie Blaine (22) celebrates against South Carolina at Jane B. Moore Field on March 20.&nbsp;</p>

Jessie Blaine (22) celebrates against South Carolina at Jane B. Moore Field on March 20. 

Auburn freshman Jessie Blaine was named SEC Freshman of the Week for her role in Auburn’s series win against South Carolina this past weekend. 

In three games, Blaine collected four hits, three runs scored, eight RBIs and three walks for a 1.222 slugging percentage, a .444 batting average and a .583 on-base percentage. 

As the designated player for the Tigers over the duration of the series, Blaine’s critical moments came in games one and two versus the Gamecocks. 

In game one, Blaine hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the seventh inning to send the game to extra-innings. Blaine followed that up with another three-run home run in game two to help send Auburn to its eventual run-rule win. Blaine did walk twice in game three, but never scored. 

Blaine and the Tigers will face No. 13 Kentucky in Lexington starting on Friday, March 25, for their first ranked matchup since facing then-No.3 UCLA in the St. Pete Clearwater Elite Invitational on Feb. 19. 

Emily Porch | Sports Writer

Emily Porch is a senior from Sylacauga, Alabama. She joined The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @emilycporch

Share and discuss “Jessie Blaine picks up first SEC Freshman of the Week honors” on social media.