Pride on the Plains to hold PrideFest this Sunday

Contributed by Pride on the Plains
Contributed by Pride on the Plains

Pride on The Plains, a non-profit LGBTQIA+ organization will be hosting its fourth in-person pride celebration, PrideFest, on Sunday, June 5. 

The event will begin at 12 p.m. and end at 7 p.m. at Kiesel Park, with 14 different acts lined up to perform on the main stage, from singers to dancers to live bands and drag entertainers from shows like RuPaul's Drag Race and The Boulet Brothers' Dragula. 

Seth McCullough, president of Pride on the Plains, said being able to have a space for queer youth is one of their favorite things about the annual PrideFest. 

"I guess, growing up, I didn't really have that," McCullough said. "And so being able to provide that space for the younger queer community to be able to relax and let loose and be around their own kind of people is really my overarching goal here." 

Although McCullough is not originally from Auburn, their husband is, and after moving here they fell in love with the community. 

"I'm a teacher here in the community. I love the people," McCullough said. "So I'm trying to do what I can to make Auburn better." 

Pride on The Plains was founded in 2017 with the goal to serve as the flagship LGBTQIA+ organization serving Auburn, Opelika and the surrounding communities. According to their website, the Pride on The Plains board operates with one overarching mission to foster a sense of community through celebration, education, empowerment and inclusion among Alabama’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and allied peoples. 

Alongside PrideFest, Pride on The Plains puts on multiple events throughout the year to help achieve their mission, as well as fundraise for the fest, which costs around $30,000 to produce. All the money that they receive throughout the year gets put right back into the community in the form of the PrideFest. 

"To be able to rent a stage, hire Auburn AV to provide speakers and sound equipment and to book these big headliners from things like RuPaul's is not cheap," McCullough said. "There's a lot of fundraising that has to happen." 

Pride On The Plains also does a big push for local and corporate sponsorships for PrideFest. This year's sponsors include Tito's and Target, as well as more local ones like Behind the Glass and Red Clay Brewing Company. 

PrideFest, McCullough said, will be a day of family and fun for everyone. Not only will there be acts on the main stage but there will be local vendors, sponsors and food booths set up. Auburn Police will also be patrolling the park all day for extra security and safety throughout the event if needed. 

The itinerary, called Pride Guide, is published on their website prideontheplains.com.

Destini Ambus | Editor-in-Chief

Destini Ambus, senior in journalism, pursuing a minor in sociology is the editor-in-chief of The Auburn Plainsman.

dya0003@auburn.edu

@destiniamb 

Share and discuss “Pride on the Plains to hold PrideFest this Sunday” on social media.