Best places to catch live music

<p>The Sound Wall Recording Studio</p>

The Sound Wall Recording Studio

Although Auburn is not often thought of when the topic of live music comes up, the music scene in the Auburn-Opelika area is alive and well. Live music in Auburn comes in nearly every style and can be found almost anywhere.

The Gogue Performing Arts Center has a packed lineup for the coming months and is not limited to only music. In August, Vince Gill is scheduled to perform, followed by A.J. Croce, son of the late folk icon Jim Croce, and Jason Isbell.

The GPAC also hosts musicals, plays and other entertainment events throughout the year. Through January, “Legally Blonde,” “Chicago” and Jay Leno will be at the GPAC.

Aside from the GPAC, the Auburn University Department of Music also hosts recitals throughout the year to showcase the musical growth of their students. The Department of Music has several bands, including the Concert Band, the Marching Band, the Jazz Band and the Chamber Orchestra.

Outside the university, however, there is a completely different music scene. From SkyBar in downtown Auburn to The Jailhouse in the back of Rock ‘N Roll Pinball in Opelika, live music is not hard to come by in the area.

SkyBar Café in downtown Auburn is home to music ranging from hard rock to country. These live music events are held throughout the week, with other events like karaoke and Throwback Thursdays tossed in as well. 

17-16 Bar and Southeastern Bar are also popular spots for live music. Each week, artists take the stage at these venues and entertain general patrons and fans alike. 

At The Jailhouse, Friday and Saturday nights are dedicated to local bands. Although they focus on local acts, The Jailhouse is open to hosting bands from all around. Each night has only a $5 cover.

Also located in Opelika is The Sound Wall. The Sound Wall offers small, intimate musical gatherings with acts from all over. Their Supper Club is a favorite. Patrons are served dinner and entertained by very talented individuals or groups that take residence in the loft above the listening room.

When it comes to live music, the Auburn-Opelika area is not lacking. And although this is a short list of some of the more popular and well-known live music venues, many other hotspots for live music can be found with ease.

Tucker Massey | Content Editor

Tucker Massey, junior in journalism, is the content editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Best places to catch live music” on social media.