A semester blueprint for Auburn students

<p>A notebook with "Fall 2023" written on it and a pen sitting on its right side.</p>

A notebook with "Fall 2023" written on it and a pen sitting on its right side.

The new school year is rolling in, which means classes have begun, clubs have started and the homework load is stacking up. It can be tough to stay on top of classes in college and maintain a social life along with this. Here is how some of the Auburn Tigers stay proactive.

Madison Soetebeer, junior in public relations, said the key to staying on top of the semester is organization.

“I like to put all the important due dates for exams and projects in my Google calendar and every Monday I fill out my planner with weekly assignments that are due and when in the week I'm going to complete them,” Soetebeer said.

She highly recommends getting a planner in order to start prepping for the semester and be able to visualize the week. 

Time management is a crucial part of college. As a freshman getting a new schedule could be intimidating, especially since it might be a different layout than how classes in high school looked.

Billy Meadows gave advice about his time in college and how to incorporate a social life alongside school work.

“You have so much more free time than you think. Make sure you fill that time up with things to better yourself academically,” Meadows said.

There are so many opportunities at Auburn to better a student's education. Auburn offers a variety of clubs that are related to all types of majors as well. 

“You will have more than enough time to spend with your friends or do other fun activities. When you're sitting around with nothing to do, knock out some homework or study for a test,” Meadows said.  

Students may have more available chunks of time in their schedule than they are used to. Upperclassmen suggest that staying on top of your school work is the best way to use that free time. 

Hannah Schwartz, senior in public relations, talked about how to keep on top of all assignments and projects.

“I make a to-do list organized by my classes," Schwartz said. "I update it Sunday night and put everything due that week along with any personal things I need to get done."

Sarah Wright, senior in civil engineering talked about how sometimes it can be hard to learn how to balance school work, building a social life, sorority events and activities.

“This year I lucked out because I have off Tuesday and Thursdays so I only have classes Monday, Wednesday and Friday. So, Tuesday and Thursday I can have set days to get all my stuff done, read ahead or study,” Wright said.

Wright also talked about being involved in Greek life and finding a mentor group within the organization that’s connected to a student's major.

“The main thing is to not procrastinate and stay on top of stuff so you don’t fall behind,” Wright said.

Share and discuss “A semester blueprint for Auburn students” on social media.