Auburn rings in the holiday season with annual Holiday Lighting Ceremony

University Christmas tree on Samford Lawn in Auburn University on November 26, 2023.

The holiday season has officially begun in Auburn. The university’s annual Holiday Lighting Ceremony took place on Nov. 26 on Samford Lawn. 

Despite the rainy weather, a large crowd gathered to enjoy the holiday celebration. The event featured arts and crafts, Christmas caroling, holiday cookies, latkes and a hot cocoa bar complete with marshmallows and whipped cream. The main event, however, was the lighting of the campus Christmas tree and menorah. 

“We have the holiday tree lighting and menorah lighting today," said Maggie Jones, the director of campus traditions for the University Program Council (UPC). "We have all sorts of activities for the community. “We have food, drinks and a craft table. This is really just a time for the community to come and hang out and get ready for the holidays.”

Jones is a sophomore in hospitality and event management. She said that organizing the event was very fun for her as she got to use the skills that she has been learning within her major. 

“We’ve been planning for quite a while," Jones said. "It’s a bunch of different things that come together to make the event, and it’s great seeing it all come together. The weather definitely made me nervous, but rain or shine, this event was going to happen."

The event was sponsored by UPC, Student Involvement and Hillel at Auburn. 

“Every year we have this holiday lighting ceremony," said Nora Patterson, Hillel’s faculty advisor. "It’s a tradition for Hillel to work with UPC to bring in the holiday season together for the Auburn community and students. We lead dreidel games and we have latkes. We wish the community a happy Hanukkah and Aubie will light up the Christmas tree and the menorah at the same time.”

Hillel is Auburn’s Jewish student organization. Patteron said that although they are a minority in Auburn, they feel very supported and enjoy sharing Hanukkah with the community.

Along with UPC and Hillel students, there were many people from the community that attended the lighting ceremony. 

“I’m here to hear my granddaughter sing in the East Samford choir. I’m excited about that and I’m having fun here today,” said Debby Henthorne, a former Auburn University employee who was attending the event with her family.

Many Auburn students also attended the event.

“I wasn’t feeling very festive today, but watching all the little kids run around and everyone having a good time is so fun and definitely getting me in the spirit," said Ella Brack, freshman in biomedical sciences. "It really brings people together."

The main event kicked off at 5 p.m. The Auburn University choir and East Samford Middle School choir performed Christmas carols while the crowd sang along to classics such as “Jingle Bells” and “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.” Then, President Christopher Roberts introduced Aubie to flip the switch and light the menorah and Christmas tree. 

“I think the event went amazing," said Cole Wheeler, the vice president of creative events for UPC. "The tree and menorah are lit and everything went amazing. It’s awesome to be able to get to interact with the city. UPC does events all the time, but we rarely get to be involved with the community like this."

The Holiday Lighting Ceremony is one of Auburn’s many traditions that bring the campus and community together.

Sam Vise | Community Reporter

Sam Vise, junior in journalism, is the community reporter for The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn rings in the holiday season with annual Holiday Lighting Ceremony” on social media.