Staff predictions: 2023-24 men's basketball season

Coach Bruce Pearl during a preseason scrimmage

With the Auburn men's basketball season set to tip off on Tuesday, Nov. 7, here's our staff's predictions for record, conference finish, most valuable player, newcomer of the year, defensive player of the year and NCAA Tournament seeding.

Record

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor: 22-9 (12-6 SEC)

"I expect Auburn's record to improve from last season. With a newly tooled roster filled with impact transfers, I believe Auburn will be much more balanced offensively, instead of solely relying on center Johni Broome like it did some last season, and because of that, Auburn will record some important quad one wins. I think Auburn loses three nonconference games and even starts off SEC play 3-3, but a stretch of games at Mississippi State, home versus Vanderbilt, at Ole Miss and a home game against Alabama puts Auburn on a four-game winning streak to give the Tigers momentum for the second half of the SEC season."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor: 25-6 (13-5 SEC)

"By all indications, this newcomer-laden team will be much better shooting the 3-pointer than last year's squad, allowing for a much more balanced offense. Though the defense is expected to be a good bit worse than last year's team, if the 3-pointers are falling for Auburn, the Tigers can outscore most of their opponents. 

A tough, but manageable, nonconference schedule will help prepare Auburn for the gauntlet of SEC play. In SEC play, Auburn has gotten to the point where it is almost always expected to win at home, but some tough road games await the Tigers — especially against Arkansas and Tennessee, two of the projected top teams in the league. I think Auburn hovers around .500 in SEC play in January before a strong February sets the Tigers up for a run in March."

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter: 21-10 (11-7 SEC)

"I expect the Tigers to enter SEC play with three losses under the belt after a nonconference schedule that should amply prepare Auburn for its conference matchups. Auburn went 10-8 in conference play last season, and I have them picking up one more win this season. The Tigers should have a better offense this season, being able to more heavily rely on 3-pointers, but the Tigers will face a slew of tough road matchups, including Arkansas and Tennessee. I expect Auburn to finish the season, however, with a stretch of wins in its last three conference contests."

Conference finish

Dylan Cardwell showers fans with confetti 3/5/22

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor: Fifth in SEC

"A 12-6 SEC finish would have put Auburn in a tie for third last season, but I think Auburn will lose some key head-to-head matchups to finish fifth. I believe the Tigers will lose to Arkansas and split their two games against Tennessee and Alabama – all of which will finish with the same or a better conference record. I do think Auburn beats Texas A&M thanks to a raucous crowd in Neville Arena, but the Aggies still finish higher in the standings before the SEC Tournament."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor: Fourth in SEC

"Six seasons ago, Auburn won the SEC with a 13-5 record. This season, that likely won't be good enough, especially with Tennessee and Arkansas looking like formidable teams and Auburn getting both on the road. I have the Tigers getting the last double-bye of the SEC Tournament, behind just the Volunteers, the Razorbacks and Texas A&M, all of which I expect to have better records than Auburn."

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter: Sixth in SEC

“The SEC is arguably the strongest it has been at basketball as a conference for the first time in a long time, and I expect Auburn to lose some tough away matchups and split games against Ole Miss and Alabama. I have the Tigers finishing sixth in the SEC, one slot behind Alabama.”

MVP

Johni Broome putting up shots during open practice

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor: Johni Broome

"After being Auburn's MVP last season in my opinion, preseason All-SEC first team member Broome is back for his junior season, and I'm expecting him to have a big year. Broome tested the professional waters by showcasing his skills at the NBA's G League Elite Camp and the NBA Combine, and I believe that feedback he received will make him an even better player after averaging 14.2 points, 8.4 rebounds and 2.4 blocks during the 2022-23 season. If Broome takes that next step, he will be Auburn's best player and could work himself into SEC Player of the Year conversation."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor: Johni Broome

"Broome is now in his fourth season of college basketball. In each of his first three seasons, he was named an all-conference performer — either by the OVC or SEC. Broome, who was named a Preseason First-Team All-SEC player by the league's coaches this season, comes back to school after earning an invite to the NBA Combine from the G-League Camp. Last season, Broome made a huge difference as the Tigers made the NCAA Tournament as Auburn hovered around the tournament bubble in late February. Look for Broome to improve on his All-SEC Second Team performance from a season ago."

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter: Johni Broome

It may sound like a broken record at this point, but Johni Broome brings depth and veteran experience to a Tiger team with lots of newcomers. Named to the preseason All-SEC first team, Broome returns to Auburn for his junior year after attending the NBA Combine this summer. Broome was vital for the Tigers in the paint last season, and I expect for his post play to be solid again. I am also looking for him to have more opportunities from outside this season and expect him to be a large offensive contributor for the Tigers.” 

Newcomer of the year

Aden Holloway during a preseason scrimmage

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor: Denver Jones

"While I think Broome will be Auburn's best player, Jones might end up being Auburn's most exciting player. After averaging 20 points per game last season at Florida International, if the Tigers need a player to go get a bucket, I think Jones could be their best option as he shot 37.1% from three and is an elite scorer – scoring over 25 points in a game seven times last season. There's four newcomers on the team, and I think true freshman Aden Holloway has a good chance at winning here. But, I'm going to go with the experienced guard here who has proved to be reliable."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor: Denver Jones

"Auburn has an extremely talented group of newcomers this season, and they have proven to be leaders of the team already. In the exhibition game against AUM, the top three scorers were all newcomers — and that doesn't factor in the absence of McDonald's All-American Aden Holloway, who missed the game with injury. If I had to pick one top newcomer, I think the 3-point consistency of Denver Jones will be hugely impactful for the Tigers.

In the exhibition game, on a night when his teammates went 1-for-17 from 3-point range, Jones was 4-of-8 from behind the arc. That game against AUM provided just a sample of what the Tigers expect from Jones this season. Over the past four seasons, Auburn has lacked a truly consistent 3-point shooter — only top-three draft pick Jabari Smith in 2021-22 had a make rate of over 37% on over 100 3-point attempts. Jones has the chance to provide some consistency from behind the arc, which will go a long way for the Tigers. 

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter: Denver Jones

“Jones transferred to the Plains from Florida International University where he was named First Team All-Conference USA last season, averaging 20 points per game and shooting 35.7% from beyond the arc. I expect Jones to bring life back to Auburn’s struggling 3-point performances the past couple of seasons and bring some excitement to the Tiger offense.”

Defensive player of the year

Johni Broome driving into the paint during a preseason scrimmage

"This is the easiest pick here in my opinion as Broome has countlessly proved he is an elite defensive weapon. He was second in the SEC last year at 2.4 blocks per game and won the Ohio Valley Conference Defensive Player of the Year award in his last season at Morehead State. There were six games last season where Broome rejected five or more shots and eight games with two or more steals. For a team I think might have some defensive struggles this season, Broome will be a massive bright spot for the Tigers defensively."

"For a team that seems like it will have issues guarding other teams' guards, the interior defense looks as if it will remain strong. Recently, Auburn has established a tradition of elite shot-blockers, and Broome looks as if he will be in that conversation once again after averaging 2.4 blocks per game last season. Broome holds the all-time blocks lead at Morehead State, with 131 in his time there, and continues to impress defensively on the Plains."

“Broome is the clear pick for defensive player of the year for Auburn, and there is a reason the three of us all picked him. Last season, he was a defensive unit who ranked 10th in the nation in blocked shots per game. While the Tigers are slated to struggle defensively this season, I expect Broome to be their defensive anchor in close matchups.”

NCAA Tournament seeding

Auburn head coach Bruce Pearl answers questions from reporters about the team's upcoming NCAA Tournament second-round matchup against Miami during a press session in Greenville, South Carolina, on March 19, 2022.

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor: Six seed

"An overall record improvement, better conference finish and some resume-building wins will help Auburn finish with better seeding in the NCAA Tournament than it did last season. For a lot of last season, the Tigers were balancing on the bubble of making the tournament, but I don't expect that to happen this season. I believe this team has improved greatly, and while the team won't be one of the top seeds in the tournament, there will be no doubt that Auburn has a spot in the NCAA Tournament."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor: Four seed

"In 2018, a 25-6 record got Auburn a 4-seed and I expect it will do the same this season. Auburn has plenty of Quad One opportunities this season, especially on the road, but also does not have many chances for resume-destroying losses. With most of Auburn's toughest games coming in January or early February, a trip to Tennessee excluded, Auburn has a chance to build momentum over the season's final month and ride that momentum into a deep tournament run."

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter: Seven Seed

“With a 20-13 (10-8 SEC) regular season record last season, Auburn entered the tournament as a nine seed, and I think with a few quad one wins, the Tigers should be seeded higher than they were last season. Auburn, however, will have to finish its season strong, with its toughest games slated for January and early February, if it wants a strong resume entering the postseason.”

Share and discuss “Staff predictions: 2023-24 men's basketball season” on social media.