Auburn University Campus Safety & Security investigate 'concerning social media posts'

<p>The Department of Campus Safety and Security is located on Magnolia Avenue and oversees reports of crime on campus.</p>

The Department of Campus Safety and Security is located on Magnolia Avenue and oversees reports of crime on campus.

UPDATE: This story was updated at 2:38 p.m., March 13.

Auburn Campus Safety & Security released more information at 2:38 p.m. via email stating, "The person responsible for posting a concerning story on social media earlier today has been identified and contacted by police. The individual is not in the Auburn area and does not pose a threat to Auburn University."

UPDATE: This story was updated at 2:27 p.m., March 13.

Auburn Campus Safety & Security released a statement on X at 2:23 p.m., "Investigation concludes that there is no threat to campus."

UPDATE: This story was updated at 1:45 p.m., March 13.

According to Ashley Gann, public information officer for campus safety, the university received several reports from students about concerning social media posts this morning. The university immediately reported the information to the Auburn Police Department, whose investigation is still ongoing.  

"Auburn does not believe that there is an immediate threat to campus based on the information that local law enforcement has received," Gann said. 

The university will send out an AU Alert if there is any immediate threat. 

"There are no planned changes to class," Gann said. "[There are] normal university operations at this time, but of course, campus community students, faculty and staff are of our utmost importance."

On March 13, at 12:08 p.m., Auburn University Campus Safety & Security sent out an email regarding "concerning social media posts" made earlier that day. 

Auburn University Campus & Security are investigating to actively monitor and address the safety concern. 

Per their email, "At this time, the university does not have information about an immediate threat to campus. We will provide an update as more information becomes available." 

Individuals are encouraged to report all threats to local police and call 911 if in immediate danger.

The Auburn Plainsman will continue to monitor and update this story.

Connor Copeland | Campus Editor

Connor Copeland, freshman in English literature, has been with The Plainsman since fall 2023

Harlee Meydrech | Assistant Managing Editor

Harlee Meydrech, senior in public relations with a minor in business, is the assistant managing editor at The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Auburn University Campus Safety & Security investigate 'concerning social media posts'” on social media.