Equestrian lifetime sport for Anheuser

A love and passion for horses came at an early age for Chelsea Anheuser, senior in marketing and hunt seat rider for Auburn's Equestrian team. At the age of 6, Anheuser said she was driving somewhere with her mother and told her to pull off onto the side of the road so she could take her to a barn and sign up for lessons. "I always really loved horses," Anheuser said. Anheuser grew up in Alpharetta, Ga., and trained at five different barns before college. In 2006, she graduated from Milton High School in Milton, Ga., and was recruited to the equestrian team. Equestrian coach Greg Williams said it's hard not to feel Anheuser's passion for the sport. "It doesn't take long at all talking to her for anybody to tell how much this means to her," Williams said. Anheuser said her parents, John and Deidre Anheuser, have supported her every step of her horse-riding journey. "My mom has just always been with me ever since I started," Anheuser said. "Traveling and taking me to horse shows, she always supported me and pushed me to be the best I could be."

One of Anheuser's teammates and fellow hunt seat rider, Katie Breedlove, senior in marketing, said many of their teammates look up to Anheuser because she leads by example. "Chelsea is a very strong athlete, in the ring and outside the ring," Breedlove said. "She dedicates her whole time to this team." Anheuser said one of her personal goals is to always try and win a point for her team. She also said she always tries to encourage her teammates and cheer them on. Between workouts, class and practice, Anheuser said her life on the equestrian team is fast-paced. "Things are always happening," Anheuser said. "A lot of hard work, long hours, but lots of fun." Anheuser said the team practices five days a week. At each practice Anheuser said she tries to make it worthwhile and work hard.

"I really try to get to know the horses when we're home," Anheuser said. "So when we practice, I listen to the coaches, the teammates, take it all in and soak it all up. So when competition comes I feel totally prepared." Anheuser said once she gets to a competition she mainly thinks about her routine. "I go about my pattern in my head, each step and whatever I need to do, go over the motions over and over again, clear my mind and just ride," Anheuser said. In 2008, all of her hard work paid off when the Tigers won the national championship. Anheuser said she was excited about winning the round, but still felt nervous for her team, hoping they would win. "It was extreme excitement and nervousness," Anheuser said. But, when it's Anheuser, her horse and no competition, she said she appreciates the moments when she is able to ride.

"When I'm just riding, I just kind of think about my day and take everything in," Anheuser said. "I really just like going out in the field. I just clear my mind. (I) don't really think about anything. I appreciate those moments. I know a lot of people don't understand. It's relaxing." Anheuser said she would like to have a couple horses of her own later in life. "Then I can just ride," she said. "It's something I will always love."

Share and discuss “Equestrian lifetime sport for Anheuser” on social media.