Jhonattan Vegas aces second round of Barbasol Championship

OPELIKA, Ala. -- The sun couldn't eclipse Jhonattan Vegas' smile on the 17th hole at Grand National on Friday. He posed with hands up in celebration after sinking a birdie, eagle, birdie, birdie, birdie and finally - ace - in the second round of the Barbasol Championship. 

The Venezuela native posted a phenomenal round with eight birdies, one eagle, an ace and even the blemish of a bogey but still secured a first place spot by midday.  

The 34 year old birdied his final hole for a total of 17 under par in the tournament while setting a new course record of 60, three strokes under the previous record. He sealed his accomplishment with a quick fist bump before signing his score card and signing autographs for fans.

"You have to celebrate a round like this," he said. "They don't come that often and every chance you do it, I just have to celebrate it."

Vegas has had two top five and one top ten finish this year, with the Barbasol Championship being his 21st event of 2016. He will also compete in this years' Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. 

For now, the heat wave and excitement of an -11 day will live on only in the record book when tomorrow turns the page, according to Vegas.

"You just have to completely forget about what you just did today and know where you are on the leaderboard and focus for two more days," he said. "There's still a lot of golf to be played, too many good guys here that could shoot a 62 so can't really fall asleep with a round like this and just have to focus on playing two more good rounds."

Share and discuss “Jhonattan Vegas aces second round of Barbasol Championship” on social media.